What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tokay gecko

I am thinking of getting a Tokay gecko to put in my greenhouse to get my spider and bug problem down. It will live just find and does not eat plants or flowers. Please tell me what you think.
Jeff

I think if you have a spider and bug problem, you need more CPs! :boogie:

i have a good friend who has a tokay gecko and while they are beautiful they are somewhat annoying because their mating call is extremely loud and also they are very very aggressive and ill tempered its almost impossible for you to domesticate them if you will they get quite big and the bite is nothing to play around with they can draw blood i kinda agree with Presto get more CP's or a smaller lizard at least one you can play with if you want (i dunno how big your spiders are but if they are not big that tokay is not gonna go after them it would be a waste of its time) and unless you already have reptiles or have had them it takes some work to maintain them changing the water every day and the substrate once a week making sure they have adequate sun and also making sure they are free of mites and ticks i have two lizards i have an eastern fence lizard and a ground skink thats enough for me lol!!!! ANYWAY good luck with your bug problem hope everything works out

I'm not sure how big they are, but if you have any neps I would be concerned he would crawl in one and go missing!

xvart.

edit: Okay, so after looking them up I have determined that it is unlikely that it would be able to fit in a nep pitcher (or most nep pitchers at least).

I plan to just let him go free in the greenhouse and try not to play with it. He can be as loud as he likes it will only bug the neighbor in the back any ways there the ones giving me the roach problem. I want a low maintenance pest control for big pests.

I think they will also take care of any small mammal issues. I'm sure that's tokay with you!

I'm sure that's tokay with you!
:-))

yeah, I just hope that it doesn't turn out like my Tegu.
Looks cool and is nice for the first year....doesn't do much, but manages to lash out and bite someone....after tasting blood it goes crazy and very territorial lashing out at anyone/thing that it sees

They are really pretty though!!! :-D

Tegu's are really cool!! I heard sunlight makes em more aggressive too! How big is it?

Its fine if you want to leave this topic here but you might get more replies if it were in the herp forum. Let me know if you want me to move it. :)

Yes you can move it. I did not see the herp forum.
thanks

Well, Tokays are fairly large(it would take big pitcher to catch one-and honestly I think they could leap out of any pitcher) and aggressive, as someone said.
If enough people put tokays in their greenhouse and they got loose....you might have a invasive species.
I am not up on my herps, but is their any native herps you could put into your greenhouse that would not cause a problem if they got away?

Cheers,

Joe

Anoles are all over the place around my house!!!
Do you have them?

I heard sunlight makes em more aggressive too!

Well a greenhouse will be the perfect place for a calm temperament!

xvart.

I wonder if a gecko could climb out of a nepenthes pitcher.... I mean they can climb on glass.

We had a tokay when I was a kid. Meanest thing ever. It bit a towel and my dad had to pry it off then it got loose and ran around the walls and the cieling in the bathroom and eventually it had convulsions and died. This was all very traumatic for a 7 year old.

Really?how big was it?
I could just imagine a little alligator crawling on the walls and ceilings causing panemonium in my house!!
I never thought that they were that mean

Pretty big for a gecko... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Tokay_Gecko.jpg/250px-Tokay_Gecko.jpg

I don't think you should use an animal for pest control... I think pets shouldn't be used like roach motels... And besides this animal is really mean compared to other docile gecko's. If you do get one make sure it's got a nice place to bask and make sure it can't escape.

I'd get something friendly and I wouldn't get it just because it eats bugs... you should feed it anyway, bugs or no.

I don’t care if its aggressive I am not going to play with it. I just wanted to know if it can survive in my green house. Animals are the best pest control you can have. Better than spraying poison on everything.

Well in that case what you REALLY need is a bat. Now I know this guy....

Seriously thought what about a bug zapper? Then you can feed the dead bugs to your plants.

Somebody living in the tropics has a photo of a Nepenthes with a gecko caught in it-I can't remember who.
Tokay's get up to 12" I think. The first one I ever saw, a childehood friend in NC owned and it was actually tame. He would sit on an arm and if you stood several feet away and hel your arm out, it would actually leap to it!
With that size and the strength to leap like that, I do not think a plant can take it down.

Cheers,

Joe

Well a greenhouse will be the perfect place for a calm temperament!

xvart.

Tegu's are really cool!! I heard sunlight makes em more aggressive too! How big is it?

Tegu's not Tokay's. Different lizard. Wouldn't want to see a Tegu loose in a greehouse!

Back