What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Drain or Not To Drain, A Barrel Of A Question

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Okay folks, I have searched this site. I have searched other CP sites. I have read and done web searches. But, I still can't decide. ???

I'm about to add a second barrel bog to my setup. My first is in a whiskey barrel half, undrained with a perferated center pipe. The barrel itself was not super water tight so I opted for no drainge and it has worked very well.

The new barrel is in very rough shape so I have added a barrel liner to it. The kind that has a lip that goes over the top edges of the barrel and is meant for a half barrel size pond.

My problem is that I can't decide whether or not to add any drainge holes to it. it will be growing sarrs, VFTS and temperate dews, same as the first barrel. I live along the Mid-Atlantic coast (USA) and go from hot and steamy summers to beautiful fall to cold, wet and freezing winters, with snow to rainy springtimes.

I may take the coward's way out and go undrained this year and if I have issues, then drill some holes in the sides. :scratch:

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

well mabe try a drain that can be closed so that you can control the amount of water ? if not this mabe drill holes and if they dont work plug them up

Always use some kind of drainage...as peat and other things decompose in the bog, they do release some nutrients, adding drainage allows them to be flushed out naturally. Also, it allows for better oxygenation of the soil, undrained containers get stagnant and ridden with harmful bacteria.

Back