What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titan Arum Blooming

If you're familiar with these plants, you know how rare an event this is. I saw it on saturday, but it didn't bloom until this morning. These are the plants that smell like "rotting flesh" when they bloom!

This plant needs to develop some carnivorous habits. It just looks like it should eat something (or somebody).

http://www.clemetzoo.com/animal_plant/horticulture/cronus.asp

Funny you mention this, I went to Cleveland Metropark Zoo today and saw the flower myself. It was amazing and really stinky :). The craziest thing was that I didn't even know it bloomed and I guess it just bloomed today early in the morning! How lucky for me to be in the right place at the right time!

How cool! I would love to visit there and get a whiff of that! I see you can buy 2 seeds of it for $35 on ebay. How cool would that be to successfully cultivate this plant from seed to flowering. Even if I remotely had the conditions to grow this (and the resources) I doubt my wife would allow me a eight foot tall plant. I think it's neat how the odor is completely masked until bloom. You would think that some odor would be able to sneak out.

xvart.

This is no good. I'm moving out to Cleveland for school next month. Four weeks later and I could have seen it! As if I haven't had a half dozen chances to drive out and see one of those in LA. But what gets me stoked is that a few of you apparently live in or near Cleveland. We should meet up no? Is there such a thing as a Cleveland CP Society?

Peter

Back