What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tissue culture

I have some questions regarding tissue culture of Sarracenia seeds. I was hoping someone on here could answer the questions.
I was thinking about trying to do some @home TC of sarracenia seeds, basically because I am an impatient person, and raising them from seeds the traditional way doesn't appeal to me very much.
As far as the basic methods, I have no questions regarding those, as my wife does a lot of TC with soybeans and potato, and she has expressed willingness to help me try this.
What I would really like to know, is what recipe to use for the growing medium, as well as what works best for sterilizing the seed. Also, once the seeds are "planted" onto the medium, what protocols are used. I've read where some people put the flasks in the fridge for 6 weeks, others don't.
Let's see, other questions...what temp and light levels should the flasks be kept at?...how do you know when the plant is ready to be de-flasked?(also how long does it take usually, until it is ready?)...what treatments (if any) do you give the plant when planting out...and that's all I can think of for now. I don't even know when I am going to try this. I don't even have any seeds right now. I could wait for mine to ripen, which is probably at least 3 months away, or more likely, I will get impatient and order some.
Anyway, thanks in advance to any advice, comments, etc...

Raw$
Here's a site that will give you an idea of what TC (Tissue Culture) is. This is a DIY set up in the guy's kitchen. It is pretty much the same as a bigger company would do, give or take a thousand $$ for equipment.
http://www2.labs.agilent.com/botany/cp/slides/tc/tc.htm

Have fun
biggrin.gif

do it myself
well no thank you
just reading all that stuff is hurting my ..... im aching all over
know any sources for sending a plant out to a lab to do it for me
the cost, and how i can contact it
THX !

I had some but didn't keep the URLs.  Most of them sounded like commercial greenhouse suppliers.
sad.gif
And while I would love to have a lot of CPs I don't have enough room for that many (yet! ).

What plant is it and I think seeds are better for sending off.

Back