What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to build an outdoor bog

Hello everyone,

As it is now late September and the weather is starting to change, can someone tell me when is the time of year to best build a bog?

In my humble opinion I always make mine in autumn purely for the reason that they get time to 'settle' and weather in during winter, so in spring you can dress any areas that slump or slide and add more substrate to make features stand out etc and it give you time to plan location of plants etc.
Dont plant it till next spring though, especially if your plants are not used to being outdoors all year in your climate as they may suffer stress, not sure what your Louisana winters are like though, if you get lows of 5C to 10C that is ideal.
Also by not planting now you save the problem of having transplanted plants with possibly damaged roots or rhizomes standing all through the winter risking rot, fungus and teh dreaded Botrytis.
Best of luck with it!!
Cheers
Steve

I agree with Steve..build in the fall, plant in the spring..

although Joel is in Louisiana! which means there is probably no real problem with planting now..
winters are so mild that VFT's and Sarrs can easily stay outside 24/7/365..
So in this case, probably fine to plant now..since the plants will want to be outside all winter anyway..
or if you already have plants potted up, you could also just leave them in their pots all winter (outside) and then plant them in the bog in the spring..that way they wont be distured for their winter dormancy..
depends on the plants..
if you havent bought the plants for the bog yet, it would be best to wait until spring for that..

Scot

Thanks Steve and Scot for the info. Being in southern Louisiana Im in zone 9/10....some charts show different between the two....but they can stay outside year round. Right now I have them in a small minibog that I made from a large cattle trough and it has only been set up for about three months now. Hearing both of you guys makes sense. I will make the bog probably next month and leave it over winter so it can settle and dress any areas needed. I will leave the Sarrs and VFT's in the minibog over winter and then while they are still dormant transplant them just before spring starts.

Thanks guys for the info. Being new to inground bogs in general this is a whole new area for me. I just expanded my CP's from just nepenthes to American CP's.

Sounds like a plan Joel..
let us know how the bog-building goes! :)
lots of interest here in that kind of thing..

Scot

and don't forget some pics too..

Will post pics....thanks everyone for the info. For now here is my minibog utilizing a 150gal cattle trough. Sorry the pics aren't great quality shots.

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

Back