What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time Laps?

Does any one have any sudgestions on how to do time laps?

What kind of cameras you need? Video? Just plain Camera?

Im really confused..
blush.gif

Many modern digital video cameras have a time-lapse option, some of which are quite sophisticated. We've got a couple of Sony Handycams in lab that we've used to take time-lapse photos of snake behavior, and they're nice but not not super-high-end. Most new digital video cameras should have it as an option.

Mokele

You can do time lapse photography with a still camera, such as taking a shot at noon day after day.  Or do the same with a movie/video camera, taking a few frames at noon every day.  The first will give you a stack of photos and the second will give you a movie/video.  Both are time lapse photography (or videography).  To my eye, the key is a rock-solid mount.  I hate the look of a time lapse series where the view moves around because the camera isn't fixed.

I have it on a trip pod but I have to move it when my mom needs to get pots and pans, I put tape down where the legs go though. I thinkt his will take a while I wanted to get a Christmas cactus blooming. And then a nepenthes pitchering. Im basicaly going to be doing what herenorthere said.

Moms can ruin everything.  Why can't she be accomodating and let you leave the camera there for a month or two?  Surely she can work around it.  Maybe by washing the pots in the bathtub and storing them on the couch.

To true! lol
Oh well she puts up with alot soo I cant complain...

time lapse..
not time laps.
(will make research a lot easier! ;)

I have tried some..plants growing over several days/weeks, that kind of thing.
any regular camera will do, (unless you need the camera to take its own pictures by itself.)

lets say you want to make a time lapse movie of your VFT growing over a 2 week span.
the main concern will be keeping the camera and the pot REALLY rooted in place..you dont want them to move, in relation to each other, at all.
the only thing that should move is the plant, as it grows.

I would nail the pot to a board, then put a tripod screw into the *same* board, so that the camera and the pot are physically connected by the plank of wood..glue some other boards around the camera, sealing it into a little wooden shell for the duration...make that camera and pot as immobile as humanly possible
indoors, controlled lighting, would be best, (and you wouldnt have to worry about your camera getting rained on.)
take one frame a day, or two a day, or three..whatever works for you.
if its indoors, your lighting angles wont change during the day like it would outdoors...after a week or three or 20, take all your frames and put them together into a movie! (there are programs to do that..)

thats the basic concept..biggest issues are SUPER steady camera, you dont want it to move at all, and consistant light is good too.

Scot

Back