What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This was supposed to be a beautiful day..

• Thread starter philcula
  • Start date
At around 1:30 this afternoon my co-worker Tommy and I were in my office discussing the training schedule for the day. We suddenly heard a series of very loud, multiple gunshots right outside my window that sent us both reeling to the floor in fear. We thought they were coming in through the glass. When we looked out my window...to our horror was the dying body of an 18 year old boy who had just been gunned down by 3 thugs. We called 911 straight away and then ran outside to see if we could help but there was nothing anyone could have done. The boy was already dead.

I closed the gym and came home right away and got piss stinkin drunk. I'm ok now but still shaking and completely terrifed. I work with children..hundreds of them every day..and all my mind can process is one of them being in the vicinity and getting hurt or worse. I consider myself a very strong person, both mentally and physically but right now I feel like a weak, blubbering fool. I just don't understand where this kind of violence can come from and worse still...I only work 1 block from the police station. I don't feel safe now and I'll never be able to forget that immage.

Needless to say a young man's life has abruptly and brutally ended and 3 suspects got away. I'm so thankful my kids weren't hurt.

Phil

Oh my god... That's horrible. I'm sorry you witnessed that. It's a crazy world we live in where 18 year olds are targets for violence.... I hope you're alright, and I hope the victim's killers are brought to swift justice.

-Jason

Wow Phil... That must have been traumatizing... I don't know what to say besides I'm sorry that any of that happened. There's just not a single thing that's right about it. I'm glad that you and your kids and coworker didn't get sucked in to the violence.

That's a bad image for sure. A pal of mine had the same thing happen in Minneapolis. He called the cops several times before they came to pick up the body. I think he said it was 45 minutes or an hour before they finally showed up!

that sucks Phil......stuff like that is rougher than hell on a person......hope your doing better..........

That is pretty bold for anyone to do. Some areas have more some less. But it really doesn't matter where violence occurs, peopel still need to have a sense of value to life. Was this in the area where you live or is your job in a different place ? I can't imagine being a parent dropping off their child either. What must be going through their head ?

I am so sorry you had to witness that! How horrible! I'm sure it will take some time for you to feel better, because this is a traumatic experience. How sad :-(

Hey folks-

Many thanks for your thoughts. After a marginal good night's sleep I feel a bit better...but I'm still afraid to go to work. LOL. I know this was just a random act of violence but being so close to it is what frightens me the most. I work in a different town from where I live and unfortunately, as I was telling another friend just a while ago...the crime in that town,(Gilroy, CA), has risen over 300% from last year. The cops say they don't know if this was gang related. All they know is that the victim was recently released from jail only a week ago and was trying to steer his life in a better direction.

Ouch, that kind of thing is enough to throw you off for a while, I am not joking when I say that you should seek some kind of counselling if you feel you might benefit, it is HARD to shake nightmares born out of things like that...

Closest thing to that I've seen is a person getting beaten nearly to death by a gang of dudes with aluminum baseball-bats, I can still see it to this day- had it happened in a place I had to frequent I can't imagine what the impact might have been on me

Hi Phil,

Man, I'm sorry to hear you had to witness that! Aweful.

Mabudon is absolutely right - if you have trouble shaking this, definately go talk to a pro.

There is nothing that I can say that... see... that is just too horrible. I am so sorry.

In today's San Jose Mercury:

Brazen daylight shooting in Gilroy:
Killing is City's Third Homicide This Year
By Sandra Gonzales

Gilroy marked its third homicide this year -- and second in six weeks -- after and 18-year-old man was gunned down in broad daylight Tuesday just blocks from City Hall and the city's police department.

With gang violence escalating in Gilroy, police combed the are for evidence, part of their investigation into whether the latest is part fo that wave. Just last week, a 21-year old man was stabbed in a gang fight, but police said there is no evidence the incidents are linked.

"Gang violence has been on the rise in the past several months in the city, we've had several stabbings and shootings, but it's too early to say whether this shooting is gang related," said Gilroy police Sgt. Jim Gillio.

Tuesday's outburst unfolded at 1:20 p.m. The victim was w3alking with friends near Sixth and Church streets when three men suddenly began shooting, striking the victim. When police arrived, he was already dead, lying on the sidewalk. As for the shooters, the were last seen running into a neighborhood on Church street.

Police found several items of evidence at the scene. The did not disclose their findings. Although police interviewed several witnesses, police were searching for more.

Tuesday's homicide was the third this year. In March, a man was stabbed to death in downtown, and in September, a 19-year-old was shot and killed in midday north of the city.

Last year, Gilroy had one homicide.

And then they go on to give numbers to call if you have info.

I saw this article and thought of this thread. Thought you might all care to see the article. Something about it blows me away, not only because I know Phil was there, but because of the rise in violence in Gilroy and surrounding areas (which include my neck of the woods.)

Stay safe everyone.

I'm so sorry to hear that Phil. That is really tragic and an awful thing to see. Unfortunately, these days guns are seen as a solution to problems. Don't like someone? Blow 'em away. You wonder what has gone wrong in the lives of these kids that they have no respect for life.

I'm glad you and your kids are alright and I hope y'all stay safe. That's a very scarey thing...

I can do nothing but echo what other forum members have already said. It's Horrible, horrible thing to witness the tragic death of an innocent.

This is seriously messed up man.
Hope you've got a strong constitution and don't go crazy or something.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to be fine. I'm not what you call overly strong in the faith department...but I spoke to a pastor today anyways and he made me see things in a different perspective. What ever works I guess.

I'm just going to be on pins and needles for awhile whenever I hear a car backfire. He said that's normal, given the circumstances. My kids are all there for me so I have much to be strong for...as well as all my friends.

Peace out-

Oh my god...that's just...horrible. Must've been a traumatizing experience. May he RIP :(

Back