What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Think my ceph is flowering

So there is a stalk forming on one of my cephs. What do I do for some seeds?

No camra and my phone can't send pics. Videos, not pics. I know it's a flower stalk. It seems like everything in there except the neps are flowering.

When one of mine flowered last summer, the stalk grew to be about 18 inches tall.

Once the tiny star like flowers started opening I pollinated with a very small paintbrush, every day, I think it was for a week or two.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got some seeds, since I'd never had a Ceph flower before. The seeds were small and fuzzy, looking similar to tiny feathers, tan colored.

I ended up getting about 20 seedlings!! They are tiny now, maybe 1/8th inch or so.

That's pretty tall for my area. Maybe if I can find a way to let it grow but keep it down it could work. I guess it must be happy though if it's flowering.

The Savage Garden recommends using a paint brush each day once the flowers open to tease them and pollinate them with another flower I believe. My flower stalk is only 3" tall. Yikes! 18"? People that go up and down my stiars knock my platns over even though they're far back in the windowsill, I dunno how they'll go around that giant flower stalk! Hopefully, if I keep the window down the flower stalk will lean against it and go up up and away. There is plenty of room for the stalk in the sill, if it goes upwards. Jeesh, now I'm worried.

Do some one have a pic of a stalk?

Back