What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There's always room for jello . . .

Here are some recent updates of a few Heliamphora cultures, in an experimental media -- some producing mature leaves within seven months. The cultures represent potentially unnamed lower-altitude species; and -- hopefully -- one particularly desirable one, from Cerro Huachamacare, from Amazonas State, Venezuela, which is yet to be widely distributed within the US . . .

Heliamphora sp. 14 June

image_zpseaqjj8jf.jpeg

image_zpshkmjd0el.jpeg

image_zpsyqrld7wa.jpeg

Last edited:
You have unnamed species!! :0o: That's amazing! Hopefully the low altitude varieties will spread like wildfire through horticulture. At least, that's my hope.

Mmmmm expensive jello. And here I am just having lychee flavor when I could be having heli flavor!

Thanks for the explanation.

Lychee is commonly served at Chinese restaurants.

Those helis look great!

Last edited:
*sigh* Never seem to be able to find lychee here. :( (And definitely not lychee flavored jello.)

Plain gelatin and lychee calpico - amazing. Without the eyeball texture!

I'm not sure where you are, Dragon, but definitely around Ann Arbor there are some Asian food stores where I'm sure you could at least get your hands on some canned lychee. Some of them have a recipe for lychee rice pudding dessert made with coconut milk.

Last edited:
David you tease!

I'm not sure where you are, Dragon, but definitely around Ann Arbor there are some Asian food stores where I'm sure you could at least get your hands on some canned lychee. Some of them have a recipe for lychee rice pudding dessert made with coconut milk.

Don't get to AA often. Next time I do I'll have to try and track one down. Fresh lychee would be my goal. They're a spring fruit, aren't they?

Oops! Double post.

Last edited:
Could you do a tutorial on tissue culture?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Could you do a tutorial on tissue culture?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

The process is a bit involved; but some of the best instruction and tutorials can be found on Matt's site, flytrapcare.com, Plant Tissue Culture Basics . There is also a TC forum there where many hobbyists and professionals regularly contribute . . .

Last edited:
If you want lychee, look for rambutan too. Fruit is almost exactly the same, but the skin is wildly hairy. Both are seasonal - rambutan season is right now.

David you tease!

This is going to be strike three with my source, if the cultures don't come through. Usually, I give him top marks -- but . . .

Last edited:
Back