What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ubiquitous Utricularia bisquamata?

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
The hitchhiker Utricularia in my Drosera aliciae pot flowered last week. I'm pretty sure it is U. bisquamata. Here's some photos of the flower. A couple days later the colors really came out but I was too busy to setup the tripod.

Does U. bisquamata self-pollinate?

04200004.jpg

04200007.jpg

04200001.jpg

You bet your sweet life, that they do, that is how that one ended up growing in that pot.
Lois

Ah ok, I don't want these spreading to my other pots so I'll clip the seed pods. It may be too late because of the old seed pods that came with the D. aliciae.

They don't harm the D. aliciae. Coincidently, I had U. bisquamata popping up in a pot that has a D. sessilifolia and D. capensis, which came from Flytraplady! It was just easier to remove the D. sessilifolia. from that pot.

Well something else sprouted up in my D. aliciae pot, it's under one of the D. aliciae and is actually pushing up the leaves. The shape of the leaf looks like that of U. reniformis. ???

Someone already commented on bisquamata and seeds, but I want to also add that the seeds are numerous and TINY! I took mine today and clipped off all the dried up seed pods. After rubbing them on a piece of paper I found that they are SMALLER than Drosera seeds. No wonder this can become a weed.

Off to spread weeds about :)

I'm not a fan of terrestrial bladderworts.... and these dang things are all up in my Marston Dragon pot!! They are a nuisance!

try growing the 'Betty's Bay' cultivar of bisquamata (see my avatar), it is non-invasive and has pretty flowers to boot!

How has this cultivar become non-invasive? Is it an infertile hybrid?

no, it just does not seed seed without manual pollination, so only spreads vegetatively

Back