What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The terraforums Post Presidential debate post

Prior to the debate the McCainiacs were saying that Obama could deliver a prepared speech well, but that he couldn’t possibly do well in a freewheeling debate with McCain, who was much more experienced and supposed much more knowledgeable in the subject of foreign affairs. After the debate was over, the polls showed that Obama had won by a slight margin, so the McCainiacs changed their tune and said that Obama was just repeating the lines given to him by his handlers. They fingered the wrong person. That would be Sarah Palin’s strategy.

The House has just rejected the bailout bill, meaning that McCain failed in his attempt to get Congress to fix the financial crisis. More Republicans voted against the bailout than for it. McCain claims that he can “reach across the aisle” to get legislation passed (though his reach falls short of Obama), but he doesn’t even have enough influence over his own fellow Republicans. Maybe he means that he has as little influence over Democrats as Republicans.

im happy as hell the bailout failed....just got a call from my Rep stating why he voted against it.....being that it didnt protect the tax payers and sure in the hell didnt put anything in place to keep it from happening again.........you think its a smart move to give the ppl who caused the issue $700 billion and no real strings attatched?

as far as the debate it wasnt and most everyone agrees on that.....both candidates sat and repeated the same ol crap we have been hearing for a year......and the polls that have Obama winning are from the same news sourses that have been kissing his arse for the last year......hardly unbiased.....the unbiased sourses say it was a tie in a debate that wasnt worth watching cause it was just two idiots up there trying to give the media the best sound bite and definatly not a debate........

Whether you support the bailout or oppose it, McCain wanted the government to do something to fix the financial crisis, and he failed.

Regarding polls, the news sources aren't the ones being polled. They are merely reporting the results of the polls. You can go the websites of the polls and see the same results. By the way, Fox "News" reported on a poll showing that its viewers favored McCain by a margin of 80% to 20%. I don't think that is bothering the Obama campaign because what that might mean is that 20% of the Fox "News" viewing audience are not conservatives. Or it might mean that 20% of conservatives support Obama.

to do something and backing this particular bill can be two completely seperate things.....doing the wrong thing can be much worse than doing nothing

McCain said he suspended his campaignto because it was secondary to fixing the financial crisis. Some people said it was just grandstanding, but McCain denied it. He participated in the presidential debate because he said that Congress was close to a solution. Apparently, however, he didn't have enough influence to shape the bill so it would be satisfactory to a majority in the House. For the sake of consistency, McCain should once again suspend his campaign and decline to participate in any more debates until he gets Congress to pass a bill. That would show that he wasn't just grandstanding. John McCain appeared in a political rally today in Ohio.

actually from what i can see Pelosi did her best to tank the bill......have to find it hard to believe she is that stupid to grandstand and try and lay all the blaim on Bush just before the vote......especially when this mess needs to be dropped on Slick Willy's feet if your going to do it to any one individual.....seems bout half the ppl who were going to vote for it decided not to AFTER listening to Pelosi...

actually from what i can see Pelosi did her best to tank the bill......have to find it hard to believe she is that stupid to grandstand and try and lay all the blaim on Bush just before the vote......especially when this mess needs to be dropped on Slick Willy's feet if your going to do it to any one individual.....seems bout half the ppl who were going to vote for it decided not to AFTER listening to Pelosi...

Yeah, I don't understand why she would give such a speech. I think she was just trying to score some political points by getting a bill passed and placing some blame at the same time. Although, I don't understand why people would switch votes because of something like that...

xvart.

Uh, how is it that a Pelosi speech would impact votes? She puts blame on Bush because it's his fault, and the fault of the relentless deregulation pushed by his party and people like Phil Gramm. It's important that we all understand that we didn't just randomly show up on the brink of economic destruction, but that it's the result of failed policy and ideology for the last 8 years. That fact notwithstanding, what kind of representative would change their vote at the last second in response to a speech that Pelosi makes? That doesn't make any sense at all. It's not like any of them are unfamiliar with her position. Believe me, her constituency at home is raking her over the coals on a daily basis for being way too accommodating to the Republicans.

Hell, Pelosi voted FOR the bill! It was a coalition of representatives from both sides of the isle for whom this crazy bill didn't pass the smell test. Giving hundreds of billions of dollars to make whole the very criminals who gambled away the money they were entrusted with - your money and mine - simply doesn't strike many of them as good policy. The public hated this bailout scheme. They've been burned by the Bush fear-mongering too many times, and they know this hasty, panicked action isn't right. Today was a victory for our form of government, and even if it throws the market into turmoil for a short time, it will hopefully have the effect of restoring some sanity and self-reflection into the banking and investment industries. So if Pelosi inadvertently tanked the bill, good for her! But she didn't. She supported the bill.

Capslock

Caps just going by quotes by the reps.......seen a half dozen that said they switched cause of Pelosi's speech........dont make much sense to me could be they were just looking for a place to hang their no vote on..........

(edit..moved reply to other thread)
Scot

(why cant we just delete posts outright?)

Pretty much my take, Max. Obama has more charisma, and I think McCain has more experience. I think the VP Debate will go a long way towards sawaying some decisions. I saw a bit of Couric interviewing Palin, and Palin did not do very good at rolling with the punches.

Debate wise it was largely a tie. No major blunders from either one, and no home-runs either. It did show that Obama is a more attractive and charismatic person, though. Some of McCain's mugging and grimacing was painful to watch. But as far as content, neither one took a chance nor truly embarrassed themselves.

The polls are showing a moderate Obama victory, which is probably accurate, but it's not the sort of performance that's going to change the race in any way. I certainly hope nobody would change their vote solely on the basis of a debate like that, anyway. I thought the moderation was poor - why do they keep trotting out the strangely embalmed looking Lehrer? Does he have dead, inky black shark eyes? Like you're looking into infinite polls of emptiness? *shudder* Just creeps me out.

The VP debate will hopefully provoke more hilarity.

Capslock

Last edited:
Back