What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The plants in the woods around my house

Most of the area where I live is National Forest. I was in the gas station yesterday and I saw a forest ranger that I have seen around a time or two. Anyway, I asked him if he knew where there were some bogs with lots of pitcher plants growing and he said he knew of lots of them. I asked if he could get coordinates for me so I can visit them. He said he would, but we'll see. I told him about the ones that I found and how it looks like their area is getting encroached by trees and such, and how they are not getting enough light. I asked did they do anything to preserve the bogs in the forest. He said they do, when it is the natural area for them to be growing in. So that is good news. He said the plants the pop up in places where it is not their natural habitat they don't do anything to try to protect those plants, which I guess makes sense because it is probably some of kind of plant that should naturally be growing there instead. See, they grow all over the place around here and they pop up in tire tracks all the time if they will hold a little water. So they are a very common plant. I thought it might make some of you feel better about the plants around here since they are preserving natural bogs. I want to see one. The plants that are near my house may have drifted there and took hold even though it was not a good place for them, or the trees could be enchroaching in their habitat since it is near buildings and has not been burned in a long time. So even though these might not get saved, there are plenty of bogs in the DeSoto National Forrest that are getting preserved, so the s. alata in this area will not be dying out.

The ranger may be easier to reckon with than the townspeople!

Thanks for the brain-picture. Nice!

Back