What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrorist attack

I just turned to my local news channel and there's this huge thing about a London terrorist attack.

300+ Injured
At least 40 killed
4 seperate explosions

Is anyone else extremely surprised by this?! Why would they attack London?

I suggest everyone turn to their news channel and watch it. I'll post info as I get it.

UPDATE: They didn't higher the threat level at all for the US.

Now they're just saying the weather and stuff so I'll find some news online.

UPDATE 2: Here's an article I found.

LONDON (AP) - Three explosions rocked the London subway and another tore open a packed double-decker bus during the morning rush hour Thursday. The blasts killed at least two people and hospitals reported 190 treated for injuries in what a shaken Prime Minister Tony Blair called a series of "barbaric" terrorist attacks.

A senior police official said about 150 people were seriously injured.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Brian Paddick said the figure was based on reports from the London Ambulance Service. Police have confirmed that there were some fatalities but had not confirmed any numbers by early afternoon.

"Things are still relatively confused," Supt. John Morgan told reporters.

Bloodied and bandaged witnesses reported panicked crowds fleeing the blast sites. A witness at the bus explosion said the entire top deck of the bus was destroyed.

Blair said it was clear the attacks were designed to coincide with the opening of the G8 summit in Gleneagles, Scotland. The prime minister said the meeting of world leaders would continue but that he would return to London.

"Whatever they do, it is our determination that they will never succeed in destroying what we hold dear in this country and in other civilized nations throughout the world," said Blair.

A group calling itself "The Secret Organization of al-Qaida in Europe" posted a claim of responsibility for the blasts, saying they were in retaliation for Britain's involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The statement was published on a website popular with Islamic militants, according to Der Spiegel magazine in Berlin, which republished the text on its own website.

The authenticity of the message could not be immediately confirmed.

The blasts came one day after London was awarded the 2012 Olympics. A spokesman for the Olympic committee said it still has "full confidence" in London as the host of the games.

Britain's home secretary confirmed that there were four explosions in central London on Thursday.

Three were on subway trains and the fourth was on a bus, Home Secretary Charles Clarke told the House of Commons. "We do not know who or what organizations are responsible for these terrible criminal acts."

Sir Ian Blair, London's police chief, said he was concerned the explosions were a co-ordinated attack but said he wouldn't speculate on who was responsible.

Denying an earlier report, Israeli Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom said that Israel had not been warned by Scotland Yard in advance of the blasts.

Blair said British security forces "have been at a very high state of alert."

"Of course if there had been any kind of specific warnings we would have dealt with it," Blair said.

One witness, Darren Hall, said some passengers emerging from an evacuated subway station had soot and blood on their faces. He told BBC-TV that he was evacuated along with others near the major King's Cross station and only afterward heard a blast.

Police confirmed an explosion destroyed a double-decker bus at Russell Square in central London. Dow Jones Newswires reported that police said there were explosions on two other buses, but police hadn't confirmed those blasts.

No Canadians have been reported among the casualties so far, said Dan McTeague, the minister responsible for Canadians abroad and parliamentary secretary to the foreign affairs minister.

"We understand that no Canadians have been reported as casualties at this stage," McTeague said in Toronto as he was leaving for Ottawa.

"We know there are several Canadians of note in England, most notably Premier Dalton McGuinty of Ontario. He has been located and is fine and not affected by any of these bombings."

McGuinty is travelling in Europe with his wife, Terri, to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary.

Jay Kumar, a business owner near the site of the bus blast, said he ran out of his shop when he heard a loud explosion. He said the top deck of the bus had collapsed, sending people tumbling to the floor.

Many appeared badly injured, and bloodied people ran from the scene.

"A big blast, a big bomb," he told The Associated Press. "People were running this way panicked. They knew it was a bomb. Debris flying all over, mostly glass."

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang, I turned round and half the double-decker bus was in the air," Belinda Seabrook told Press Association, the British news agency.

Police said incidents were reported at the Aldgate station near the Liverpool Street railway terminal, Edgware Road and King's Cross in north London, Old Street in the financial district and Russell Square, near the British Museum.

London's cellphone network was working after the explosions but was overloaded and spotty, limiting communication.

The explosions sent stocks plummeting in Europe, with several of the major indexes down three per cent.>

There are also some pictures they have. Though they are mostly just pictures of people helping victims. http://www.canada.com/nationa....467f472
Some of the pictures might not be appropriate for younger people. Just a warning, that's why I posted the article on here.

It'll be hard not to find info on this.

I heard 4-6 explosions went off on the transit system, one blew the roof off of a double-decker bus.

If there are any British users here, I think I speak for everyone when I hope you and yours are okay and that we all stand with you.

awaiting homeland security news conference at 11:45 ET

Why would they attack London you ask?
Tony Blair and all of Britain hate terrorists fiercly, plus London has a very large population and the city centre has a huge density of people in a small area
Also many people said that a terrorist attack would definetly happen, and the bombers said: We carried out a blessed raid, Britain is now burning, in panic and fear

The damage is terrible, one buses roof was blown off completely and the rest of it was also badly damaged
At least 40 are dead and many more are criticlly ill in hospital

700 injured now.

they did it because of the G8 summit, or to ruin moral since the 2008 olympics will be held in london, or maybe both.

quote: Why would they attack London?

Any country that is associated with the United States and their actions will be subjected to terrorist attacks.  Let us not forget that revenge is the most potent fuel on earth.  

Our actions have created terrorists, now we have to deal with them.  

Brian

Our actions have created terrorists?

Im sure that they would have just gone away if we did nothing, everytime they killed more people.

The U.S.A is not the evil doers in this situation my friend, the TERRORIST'S are!

I cannot belive that there are still people who believe that the U.S.A.'s actions create more terrorist's.

Unfortunatly it may take an act such as this to make the rest of Europe wise up and realize what needs to be done to rid the world of such people.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 07 2005,3:10)]700 injured now.

they did it because of the G8 summit, or to ruin moral since the 2008 olympics will be held in london, or maybe both.

oh duh lol.

thanks

I know why they attacked London now. I forgot about that whole ceremony thing, I don't watch the news often. I figured it out earlier but didn't post cuz I posted once before but it disappeared so...yeah... Anyways, someone says London hates terrorists, well who doesn't?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I cannot belive that there are still people who believe that the U.S.A.'s actions create more terrorist's.
there ARE more terrorists worldwide (and in iraq).
it does create more terrorists because it creates more hate against the US. More hate= more terrorists.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Im sure that they would have just gone away if we did nothing, everytime they killed more people.
no, but doing things like invading a country that had nothing to do with 9-11 is not what the US should have done.

I would like to see a survey done, that someone went around and counted all of the terrorists.

The terrorists want you to think there are more of them, there are not more, they are just more vocal.

Your way of thinking is exactly what the terrorist want you to think.

You might as well throw a RPG on your shoulder and shoot down a U.S. helicopter.

Broaden your mind!

You know, its too bad we cant do something like "Every single time one of you blows up something in our country, we will execute 5000 of your men, women, and children at random." Maybe then they will think twice.

When you fight an hornorless heathen enemy, you have to resort to honorless heathen tactics. As long as WE have to play by the rules and they dont, we will continue to lose the battle.

Steve

War is bad,no matter how you look at it,and some people say the invasion of Iraq was not right.But I think it is for a just cause,to help the people of Iraq regain power of their country.Or we could stop helping other countries from invasions,terrorists,hunger and what ever else you can think of and see what happens then.Just my 2 cents.

Jerry

AlphaWolf and Brian_W,
If John Kerry was now president, and if we had never liberated Iraq, these attacks would still be happening..
the terrorists dont care who is president,
they dont care that you support them,
they dont care that you and other Americans are actively supporting them and are working hard to weaken the USA,
all they want is for YOU personally to DIE..
because you are Amercians..
they dont care that you are on their side.
they want ANYONE who isnt of their radical Islamic mindset to die..
if we had done nothing after 9/11, the terriorists would be stronger because of it..
fighting them weakens them..
killing them stops them for good..
the only way to stop these heathen scum is to KILL them all..
we dont have to "understand them"..we just have to kill them..
and being nice to them will not make them be nice to us..
being nice to them will result in them killing even more of us..
the weaker we are, the more of us will die..
the stronger we are, the less of us, and the more of them, will die..
personally, I want us to live, and them to die...its really that simple.

how can you honestly believe that if we do nothing they will just quietly go away?? they would LOVE that and grow bolder! because they want to destroy us!! a weakling USA, like you would prefer, would make them stronger and result in far more attacks and bombings..
If the allies had done nothing against Hitler, would he have just quiety given up? or would the Nazis be running the world right now??
it doesnt take a genius to figure out that radicals bent on world domination wont go away if no one fights them..they only get stronger if no one fights them..

you might as well say that the police create more criminals, because the police make the criminals "mad"..so the more the police fight the criminals, the more criminals there are..
so, therefore, using your logic,  if we had NO police at all, we would have NO criminals at all!
because the criminals would just suddenly become really nice if the police didnt exist..they WOULDNT grow stronger and steal more and be more violent if the police were all gone..no, they would just quietly go about normal productive lives..
having police CAUSES criminals.
the USA CAUSES terrorists..
yes, that is your logic...

and you dont see a problem with that???
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Scot

I found some scale and spider mites on my cps the other day. But I decided to not kill them. After all, that would make them mad then more would come and kill more of my plants. So I'm just gonna let them hang out untill they get happy and stop killing my plants...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would like to see a survey done, that someone went around and counted all of the terrorists.
ok, maybe I worded it wrong. I meant terrorist acts.
washington post
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yet, a careful review of the report and underlying data supports the opposite conclusion: The number of significant terrorist acts increased from 124 in 2001 to 169 in 2003 -- 36 percent -- even using the State Department's official standards. The data that the report highlights are ill-defined and subject to manipulation -- and give disproportionate weight to the least important terrorist acts. The only verifiable information in the annual reports indicates that the number of terrorist events has risen each year since 2001, and in 2003 reached its highest level in more than 20 years.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31971-2004May16.html
another one- http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn....23.html
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]WASHINGTON - Significant acts of terror worldwide reached a 21-year high in 2003, the State Department announced as it corrected a mistaken report that had been cited to boost President George W. Bush's war on terror.

Incidents of terrorism increased slightly during the year, and the number of people wounded rose dramatically, the department said in the revised report issued Tuesday.
http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/1081.html
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The number of people killed in terrorist attacks worldwide still declined in 2003 when compared with 2002, when 725 people were killed. But the decline was much less steep than originally reported, and the number of "significant attacks" -- those involving large numbers of casualties or property damage -- increased from 138 in 2002 to 175 in 2003, a 21-year-high.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/06/22/powell.terror/index.html
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You might as well throw a RPG on your shoulder and shoot down a U.S. helicopter.
*rolls eyes*
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If John Kerry was now president, and if we had never liberated Iraq, these attacks would still be happening..
nobody's talking about john kerry.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]they dont care that you support them
they dont care that you and other Americans are actively supporting them and are working hard to weaken the USA,
*rolls eyes again*
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]if we had done nothing after 9/11, the terriorists would be stronger because of it..
they're stronger now.... but nobody said anything about not doing anything.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]personally, I want us to live, and them to die...its really that simple.
oh yeah, iraq was a threat to us.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]because they want to destroy us!!
and why do they want to destroy us?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so, therefore, using your logic,
MY logic? no, you don't even understand what I said.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and you dont see a problem with that???
yes. YOUR logic is terrible.

ok, A.W., you just go ahead and keep on talking yourself into that..
I have already learned that it is pointless to argue with you, you are too far gone..
the best logic and thoughtfull response we can get from you is "roll eyes"..
ok then. I guess you showed me!
rolling your eyes really puts my points in their place!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
If John Kerry was now president, and if we had never liberated Iraq, these attacks would still be happening..

nobody's talking about john kerry.

no one wa s talking about Iraq either, until it was brought into this conversation..which had nothing to do with Iraq..
for no reason except to bash Bush, which you and your kind MUST always do at every possible opportunity, if its relevant or not..

Scot

Well, I don't know who made us the worlds cop, but it isn't our business, Afghanistan or Iraq. As long as they were killing each other and not us, and if we could mind our own business, this wouldn't be happening at all. They want to live in the stone age, then let'em go back to the stone age, and give us alternative energy so their oil is worthless.

I promise I will not post my feelings on some of the comments made in this discussion....I promise.
Ahhh, what the heck.
Is there such a thing as a people specific thermonuclear device?

Back