What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tanya(flytrapgurl) has a message for you all

• Thread starter Starman
  • Start date
Enough of the evolution/creation! I have a serious question. Does an only child get to be homecoming queen (or king) every year if home schooled?

I agree enough with the evolution/creation argument. It has been done to death. People on both sides think their science is valid, and no one will change their minds... so just can that thread of conversation and let it cool down for a year or five.

YAY Ram, tell it!

I said the same thing in a post a week ago and got tomatoes thrown at me.
smile_n_32.gif

joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ April 02 2005,2:30)]YAY Ram, tell it!

I said the same thing in a post a week ago and got tomatoes thrown at me.
smile_n_32.gif

joe
I like tomato fights!  
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]if you say evolution is just a theory (and creationism is a theory), you're messing with me too :p cuz you're not only messing with evolution, you're messing with science.

I believe proven scientific things, but I don't rely on science as the basis of the universe. Science is only what we understand about the world around us and it isn't the law of the universe. Thinking that our petty understanding is what the whole universe abides by and runs on is unbelievably egotistical. I'm not arguing with you, but I just felt the need to make my point. Now that we've both made our points on our opinions on this, can we not continue this?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Does an only child get to be homecoming queen (or king) every year if home schooled?

Why the hell would I want to be homecoming queen?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I believe proven scientific things, but I don't rely on science as the basis of the universe. Science is only what we understand about the world around us and it isn't the law of the universe. Thinking that our petty understanding is what the whole universe abides by and runs on is unbelievably egotistical.
nobody said that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ April 02 2005,4:08)]Why the hell would I want to be homecoming queen?
Obviously, he doesn't know you very well!

so what IS the point of homecoming queens? as far as I know there's no point.

It's for cheerleader-types who have no priorities except being PoPuLaR.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]nobody said that.

Did I say anybody said it? No I did not. I said it. Does everything everybody says have to be a reply to something somebody else said?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Did I say anybody said it? No I did not. I said it. Does everything everybody says have to be a reply to something somebody else said?
that's what makes you so darn confusing. I never know what you ARE saying.

Ah, the gender bridge perpetrates once again.

lol. it's not that. I understand most other girls.

Hey FlytrapGurl, here is a funny thought for you. YOu know I wasn't the best of students, but when I was put in that private school and did so much better, It really turned my life around... keep in mind this was a VERY small school, so you and I will probably share something in commong.

Numerical POsition in Class: 1 or 1

This info put on college applications: = free ride (full scholarship.) lol... just don't blow it havin fun at parties like I did!
smile.gif

Luis, alrighty then.

Rampup, I'm not really a party person. Never actually went to parties except a birthday party when I was 5 and the occasional sleepover, but that's not really a party. And I already have it determinated in my mind that I'm not going to school dances. Ever. Not gonna happen. Nope.

I wouldn't go to a school dance either if I was home schooled.  It seems kind of narcissistic.

Dude. Do you compulsively not read whole posts?
smile_n_32.gif
I'm going to Astronaut High next school year, thus this is my last year being homeschooled.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ April 01 2005,6:40)]I do have a problem with their opinionated, strictly Creationist way of teaching, which forces their opinions and beliefs on the students, teaching us that and nothing else. I honestly don't think religion should have anything to do with education, because nobody knows whether Creation or evolution happened, or anything in between, so I don't think either should be taught, since both are theories which can never be proven or known.
Hey FTG!

Good to see you again.

In the section I quoted, you hit a hot-button topic for me.

You don't agree with religion in education, but I suspect what you know about evolution probably came filtered through an anti-science perspective.

A theory, in the scientific sense, is a coherent set of principles consistent with observations and/or experiment which make predictions. There is an amazing amount of observational evidence that evolution occured and is occuring today. Creationism is religion, not theory; if for no other reason than that it makes no predictions.

PM me if you're interested, and I'll send you a list of links and books.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote (FlytrapGurl @ April 01 2005,6:40)
I do have a problem with their opinionated, strictly Creationist way of teaching, which forces their opinions and beliefs on the students, teaching us that and nothing else. I honestly don't think religion should have anything to do with education, because nobody knows whether Creation or evolution happened, or anything in between, so I don't think either should be taught, since both are theories which can never be proven or known.

I've been going to an extremely conservative religious school (kinda like a Jesuit school) since I was like five... and I can tell you out of personal experience, that it's really not that bad. So far they haven't really gotten into the subject of evolution, nor let their ideas about it get in the way of their education... they usually just keep away from it to avoid any trouble. As for teaching creationist theories.. well yeah, they probably teach you what the bible says about it or something but they're not gonna ask you to apply it in biology classes or anything, so if I were you I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe it's just my school, but maybe it's not...

Well, I guess that's all...
Bye!

Aliciae
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A theory, in the scientific sense, is a coherent set of principles consistent with observations and/or experiment which make predictions.
that's a conclusion. a theory is a conclusion that has been observed and/or experimented with by many other scientists in my places over a long period of time and has not been found to be wrong (sure, it can change a little but the actual thing is still valid)
it's sad people call anything a theory when they shouldn't.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ April 03 2005,9:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A theory, in the scientific sense, is a coherent set of principles consistent with observations and/or experiment which make predictions.
that's a conclusion. a theory is a conclusion that has been observed and/or experimented with by many other scientists in my places over a long period of time and has not been found to be wrong (sure, it can change a little but the actual thing is still valid)
it's sad people call anything a theory when they shouldn't.
The problem is that in common english usage, "theory" also means "guess". Many creationists really do know this, but deliberately abuse it to try to make their point.

Back