What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taking a chance

With my seedgrown Ceph....Since they have been reported to grow in brackish areas and what not, and can handle more salt than other CPs...
I still dont know about salt in this sand, i washed it thoroughly, wouldnt quite go as far as tasting it because of the silica in it...Hahah NO way David, sorry XD.
Im only using it as a light top dressing anyway
Ceph.jpg

Well, the sand makes it look very neat. :p The Ceph is looking great, though. Did it have a mature pitcher when you got it?

I like to topdress many of my non-cp pots with sand and/or gravel, it does make it look nice and neat doesn't it?

yeah it had a small adult pitcher when it came which finally died off and i removed it before this photo

Looks great.
But seriously the "silica" in the sand would not hurt you from tasting it.
You don't want to breath silica dust, but tasting sand won't hurt you.
Just be aware that some gravel from the pet shop has an epoxy coating to give it that extra glossy look.
If it has a real glossy shine to it even when dry it has that coating.
I don't know if it would be harmful to the plants or not. Apparently it's ok for the fish.
I have only seen it on the bigger gravel though, I would say that yours is probably ok.

No worries, i have been using these type of lapis sand on cephs for quit a while, and they doing great:boogie:

Back