What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surprise Ant Farm

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So I was cleaning out my kitchen cupboards today when I decided to throw away a box of ginseng extract that seemed to have been attracting ants. I removed the last few bottles and went to dump the ants out over my Neps when I noticed that they were tending eggs! I think I spotted a queen in there, too. I don't have room for any colonies of house ants around here, so they're still going to be plant chow, but for now I've left the nest/box intact until I can snap some pics.
~Joe

Neat. What are you going to do afterwards? Exterminate them?

lol they arent the horribly gigantic black ants we get here in western washington are they!? i hate those things.

No, they're really small and smell kind of like sour milk. I believe they're called odorous house ants.
I'm not going to squish them, but they do need to go, one way or another. I don't think they'd survive if I just put the box outside somewhere, so I'm going to leave them on my Nep shelf and they can fend for themselves. If the plants are generous with their nectar, I suppose the colony could live on indefinitely, but they'll have to contend with the troupes of outdoor ants that visit from my yard.
~Joe

Back