What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

superthrive for propagation of neps

Hi,

In last year I often added superthrive in the water for misting my neps. During those days (about half a year), most of my neps grew side-shootings or basal shootings.

In this year, I stopped using superthrive. Just wanted to see whether my neps could continue to put side-shootings or basal shootings. But strangely, none of them put shootings.

Of course, I cannot draw conclusions about the function of superthrive. So, I want to ask you guys. Do anybody have similar experience?

Thanks

I got two plants who had been beheaded by the vendor at some point prior to shipping :( and they didn't do much of anything for some time. So I misted the stems with a Superthrive solution a few times (waiting a week or so inbetween mistings) and they both finally poked out new nodes. They apparently didn't like the cool HL conditions cos they just sat there with their nodes hanging out, so I moved them to warm temps. Now they are finally starting to grow about 3-4 months after receiving them. In my Superthrive solution or fertilizer solution I only use one or two drops per gallon.

I generally only use Superthrive when I'm making Nepenthes cuttings measured out at a capful per gallon of Distilled water. I mix up the solution and soak my 2 node vine segments in it for about 15-20 minutes so the stems and half leaves get good and hydrated with water and hormones before potting up.

I have found Superthrive to be useful in transferring to composts seedlings grown aseptically in TC media and have minimized losses from transplant shock. That is largely associated to the B vitamins in the solution and not the asinine list of superlatives on its label. So, does it promote "wellness" or "goodness?" and bring lasting peace to the former Eastern bloc? I have also used it for cuttings on a few occasions but could not decide whether there had been any improvement, since mine generally take . . .

does http://www.hb-101.com/ works similarly? i am using it currently for less than 2 months, mainly soaking barerooted plants on water with those and watering plants with it

does http://www.hb-101.com/ works similarly? i am using it currently for less than 2 months, mainly soaking barerooted plants on water with those and watering plants with it

Judging from the same far-fetched unsupportable claims, I'd say so -- since it supposedly contains B vitamins . . .

Yeah, I have the same amount of successes with a product called Hormex which claims the same things as Superthrive but not in quite as snake-oil salesman of a way (full of B-1 and other growth hormones). I've also had about the same amount of success just soaking the cuttings in plain water when I don't have anything. LOL

The one thing I've used that didn't make good Nep cuttings for me was the Rootone powder. I never had such awful strike rates as the year I did all my cuttings with Rootone. I wound up with maybe a dozen plants out of 100+ cuttings using that stuff.

Hmmmm....maybe I should try that on my "beheaded" plant that I received a few months ago.

The one thing I've used that didn't make good Nep cuttings for me was the Rootone powder. I never had such awful strike rates as the year I did all my cuttings with Rootone. I wound up with maybe a dozen plants out of 100+ cuttings using that stuff.

I have had nothing but success with Rootone over the years -- far more consistently than Clonex or any of the other gels . . .

Marmite has b vitamins as well.

...Marmite as Nepenthes food...hmm

I'm not sure if it would kill them or make them grow, but it sure will make em stink like foot.

I just picked up some superthrive from a local hydro shop.

Anyone have a suggestion for the ratio of water:superthrive for foliar feeding?

Do you guys follow the bottles instructions for watering with superthrive?

I just picked up some superthrive from a local hydro shop.

Anyone have a suggestion for the ratio of water:superthrive for foliar feeding?

Do you guys follow the bottles instructions for watering with superthrive?

I generally follow the instructions...for foliar feeding or watering, I use 2 drops per gallon...for bare root soaking during transplanting or for cuttings, I soak in 10 drops per gallon for 30min.

Well, thank you all for such detailed replies. But seems most of us are off-topic. My question is, do you observe that superthrive can encourage side-shooting or basal shooting?

Of course, for cutting or transplants, using superthrive is beneficial. In this case, I generally follow the bottle instruction.

For leaf misting, I use the concentration: 5 drops/gallon.

Well, thank you all for such detailed replies. But seems most of us are off-topic. My question is, do you observe that superthrive can encourage side-shooting or basal shooting?

Of course, for cutting or transplants, using superthrive is beneficial. In this case, I generally follow the bottle instruction.

I have just started using it, but Nep101 uses the stuff and he gets rediculous amounts of side shoots and basals.

Sorry about throwing the thread off-topic.

I'll let you know my observations in about a year or so :p lol

...Marmite as Nepenthes food...hmm

I'm not sure if it would kill them or make them grow, but it sure will make em stink like foot.

Well let me see, superthrive was 'invented' in 1940 and smells rather like marmite according to some people, hmmm....

Its basically marmite or similar mixed with NAA, the same rooting hormone used in most commercial rooting hormone mixes, which by BTW is a root growth inhibitor as well as doing other weird things and is not something you want to get on your skin...

Marmite, coffee, im just waiting for somebody to suggest putting milk in the pitchers :-))

Last edited:
lol yes lets give them a coffee milk combo, which do you think will work better skim, whole, low fat (same as skim i think?) 1/2%? this could get interesting lol

People have already talked about using milk in pitchers years back, search the TF archives! :D

Thiamine (vitamin B1) is generally considered to be an essential ingredient in plant tissue culture.

I have found Superthrive to be useful in transferring to composts seedlings grown aseptically in TC media and have minimized losses from transplant shock. That is largely associated to the B vitamins in the solution[...]

People have already talked about using milk in pitchers years back, search the TF archives! :D
Everything that has happened will happen again... :grin:

Back