What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew

I just purchased a sundew today and I have no info on what kind of soil mixture to use. Im also not sure how large or small of a pot I should use and if it needs to be drained or undrained. I have also posted similar questions under the pitcher plant section titled "Cobra Lily" if you have any info to help a beginner with one of either. Thanks much. -Julia
PS. (Almost broke a world record for starting sentances with "I".)

Hi Julia. Welcome to the forums! Where did you prchase the sundew and cobra lily? Was it from Lowes? Does the sundew have elongated leaves with dew all over it or does it have a narrow leaf with a rounded, dewy "trap?" I keep all my dews in the original pot, with the soil it came with, sitting in a plastic container, filled with deionized water to ~1". (You can purchase distilled water at the grocery store). I then place it at window sill in a sunny location.

Welcome to the forums, Julia!
smile.gif

I mostly use LFS (long-fibre-sphagnum) of a mixture of 50:50 peat:perlite or peat:sand for my doseras (Hey I'm trying my best to help here, I'm still a beginner!
biggrin.gif
) Use distilled water if you can find some, not rainwater in my opinion as it contains algal spores and WILL mess your mix up pretty darn quick...well I just had to learn the hard way didn't I...so take advantage of people who have already learned!
wink.gif

Ps. where you purchase the sundew from (is it your first, and what species is it?) A pic would help, or maybe that's asking for too much at this stage...)
tounge.gif

Sorry about the late late post. Ive been in a bit of a time warp. I bought my sundew from Lowes, the type with the long leaves, not the "sticky oven mitt" kind. I re-potted it today in the prescribed soil mixture, we'll see how they do. Thanks for the info. -Julia

Sounds like a D. adelae. Good luck (skill)!

Back