What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew Seed Germination Question

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
From reading, it appears that D. sessilifolia is a challenging species to induce germination and it seems to need temperature changes to trigger germination. In general, do you think it would work better to set pots of seeds outside, open to the air to avoid "greenhouse effect", and achieve diurnal temp differential, toward germination?

If you have the seeds why not try a few different conditions? Maybe you'll help crack the code on germinating these.

As for me I can't get some Drosera capillaris "long arm"/"Pasco Giant" seeds going. They've been sitting in covered pot of long fiber sphagnum under lights for 2 1/2 months with nothing. The Drosera brevifolia I sowed at the same time are ready for transplanting. I just sowed a few more of the "long arm" seeds in a cup of water to see if that will work.

That's what I love about the discussion forums.... we can pick each other's brains! I just put the D. sess.... outside. I may try that with the other seed germinating projects I have.

If it helps, I sowed some D. sess seed about a month and a half ago in a pot inside, under lights. Still nothing. About a week later, I threw some D. sess (yes literally threw) into my bog outside. The temps started out in the 90's and have worked their way up into the low 100's during the day. I have seed popping up everywhere. The bog receives full sun for most of the day. I did not do anything special before germination. Now that they are coming up and it's so hot, in the late evening I dump some water on top of the LFS to help water the seedlings and help keep what little bit of green LFS I have alive. They must need the temperature difference between day and night, or perhaps it's all factors. They've had cloudy days, hard rain and even some hail, a couple cool days, extreme heat and humidity. They are very odd. :poke: I'll try to get some pictures today if it would be helpful.

Crystal

Okay, I will be doing some selective outside seed germinating. The artificial environments we have seem to work well enough for some things but not for others. Thanks, Crystal!

No problem Jim!

Here's the pictures I promised.

Growing around D. aliciae
P1010571.jpg

Growing around a typical VFT
P1010572.jpg

Growing near a S. Scarlet Belle. I think the seed bog hopped, I don't remember 'throwing' any in that one.
P1010575.jpg

You can tell the hard rain washed the seeds around and most are growing near or even on (some D. sess is growing on some dead D. aliciae leaves) some other plants. It's fine by me though.

I hope this helps!
Crystal

Back