What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew dew problem?

So I have a couple sundews, 2 alice, and 2 capensis. Well the problem is is that I have had them for a month and a half. the first 2 weeks I aclimated to them to regular air. But now the sundews have problems making dew. They will get dewy leaves for a little bit but then a week later and its on and off. Also. One of the capensis is supposed to be red, but it has yet to turn red at all. It has enought light cause my nepenthes is getting great amounts of red on the pitchers, so why not my capensis. Okay just a little backround they are in a terrarium, it get kinda hot, but I dont think its get above say 90 degrees, I have 10000 lumens of 6400k light plus a small 23 watt cfl. Could I be cooking the dew off the leaves with the heat? Why do they lose their dew on and off and why does the capensis not turn red?

Terrarium is probably the problem, too much moisture is not good.

Did you give the sundews enough humidity? I would recommend at least 65% of humidity for these species and to keep the temperature around 80 degrees F. I was using a T5, 14watt florescent bulbs for my capensis "red" and it gave me bright red coloration but now I'm relying on my windowsill which isn't looking so good now :-(

Did you give the sundews enough humidity? I would recommend at least 65% of humidity for these species and to keep the temperature around 80 degrees F. I was using a T5, 14watt florescent bulbs for my capensis "red" and it gave me bright red coloration but now I'm relying on my windowsill which isn't looking so good now :-(

For me, my windowsill provided 6 hours of direct light and 5 more of just shaded light and the plant turned red pretty fast. It was also left out in the open with humidity at 35%.

Are you actually measuring the temperatures in the tank or just guessing? If the tank is getting sunlight the temperatures can shoot up in a matter of minutes. Lose the tank unless your climate is very dry with RH below 20% constantly. Not many plants are happy with wild rapid swings of temperature.

Back