What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions on species/hybrids with black pitchers?

EP's catalogue is coming back online in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking about picking up a nep with dark, ideally black pitchers, after browsing some of the threads here. What kind of species or parentage should I be looking for? Obviously it won't guarantee a plant with black pitchers, but I'm looking to maximise my chances. So far I'm hearing good things with N. ramispina, izumiae and naga, although naga is quite variable from what I've heard (Whimgrinder, yours looks amazing!).

Are there any others I should be keeping an eye out for?

N. mikei also has pretty dark pitchers.

Nepenthes mikei, for sure, and N. ramispina is great. There's also the hybrid N. inermis X bongso to consider. (See here)

Nepenthes naga, but not all clones are "black"
richard-mcweenies.jpg

Last edited:
And another "black" hybrid of note, N. izumiae X ramispina:

iz-ram.jpg

Nepenthes mikei, for sure, and N. ramispina is great. There's also the hybrid N. inermis X bongso to consider. (See here)

Nepenthes naga, but not all clones are "black"
img_8270.jpg
Could you possibly use the terms "black pitchers" and "lowland growing" in the same sentence?

Last edited:
Ah, I see. Trying to grow Nepenthes with black pitchers under lowland growing conditions is something stupid people do.

+1 on N. Izumiae & its crosses. You will not be disappointed. I miss mine

Last edited:
Ah, I see. Trying to grow Nepenthes with black pitchers under lowland growing conditions is something stupid people do.

I think the reality is that all the "black" species are highland types. I don't know if there is a "black" lowlander. Although, some variants of N. albomarginata come close.

LL dark pitchers - some amps are pretty dark. and ive seen very dark but speckled raffs

izu X ramis lowers are awesome! basically matte black. but the uppers are green which is a bit lame
same applies to izu X maxima

lowii X bosch also has some big and very dark clones.
lowii X camp has some near black lowers. but, as with lowii X bosch, there is a lot of variability in the cross.

easy and common options would be rebecca soper and (vent X sang) X ramispina. in good light the pitchers are very dark on both.
singalana hybrids tend to be very dark as well.

Last edited:
N. gracilis has "black" forms, if you're looking lowland. The key to growing them successfully with good coloration is actual sunlight. I believe near full sun is also required. Below you can see a photo of one:

attachment.php

Just be warned that, unless you get a cutting from one confirmed to have such dark coloration, you could end up with a plant that does not get nearly as dark.

EP does have a "black" variant of N. albo in cultivation:

big_albopurpblack.jpg

However, I'm not sure that it's available for purchase. Nor, I think, do many places have "black" N. albo available. Most of the time, people seem to have green or that muddied red-green one. Occasionally, I see red variants. Usually, they are sold or traded as small plants. As with N. gracilis, you'd want to get a cutting from a plant confirmed "black."

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Will update this thread with what I end up getting.

I've heard of some aristolochioides hybrids also being very dark, singalana x aristo pops into my mind immediately:

P1010008-3.jpg

I also think EP has a very dark purple form of N. tentaculata, but I might be wrong on that.

Last edited:
N.ramispina x singalana has very dark pitcher's and is an easy grower. Not black but a deep purple.

Very nice black ones!!!

Ramon:D

ramispina X sing??
never seen that before

*google time

Nepenthes lingulata can also get pretty dark.

N. lingulata is a rather incredibly rare plant however. Lucky me that I have a variegated seedling :D
There are dark lowlanders, as has been pointed out, though usually select clones of species. Black amps, raffs, gracilis, albo and even mirabilis all exist but are typically very difficult to find, as are the species like treubiana (which isn't black but can get dark), but there are plenty of intermediate hybrid options. izumiae x veitchii, izu x maxima, etc. 'Rebecca Soper' is a nice plant with dark pitchers, true to its ramispina x ventricosa parentage, as is the similar plant "Black Knight." N. Black Dragon is another good one, very tolerant in my experience and has dark lowers and moderately dark uppers.

Well, it's taken some time but my EP order arrived yesterday. I missed out on an izumiae x trusmadiensis rooted cutting but did get a couple of ramispina hybrids that were a dark plum.

Oh, and this :-D:
PTJSh1yh.jpg

Back