What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stunted Growth

I've had these CPs for probably 2 years or so now (maybe more). Soil mix, watering methods, etc are all the same. All plants were Lowe's deathcubes purchased the same time....

So why oh why are these lil VETs still so little? And any way to help them get some size? They did start to flower earlier this year, but I cut them off as early as I could.

The first thing ii would do is get them out of the hole, so light can get to them from all sides, thats what it looks like in the Pict's. Peat will lose it activity over period of time. Use a peat/sand or perlite combo and damp rather than waterlogged media. and occasional fine mist of Max-sea 16-16-16 dilute as necessary will help also. These are my suggestions.

Regards

You've had them for two years, but did you give them any dormancy? If you didn't, that's like you not sleeping for two days.

Honestly, I pretty much just leave them outside year round and trim back anything dead.

Honestly, I pretty much just leave them outside year round and trim back anything dead.

Well, then... Does the temperature drop to about fifty or sixty degrees daytime and never go below freezing during the winter? If so, your plant probably went dormant just fine. Honestly, though, these can be high-maintenance pants and it isn't a good idea to just throw them in the yard and forget about them. I trust you did check up on it from time to time?

If you follow Firerock's suggestions, they should be just fine. Actually, they don't look that bad other than they need to be higher in the pot for access to more light and repotting into fresh soil. VFT are not high-maintenance plants, in fact one of the easiest given proper conditions. I "throw" mine in my year-round outside bog and ignore them other than to water, and they flourish. They also experience freezing conditions at times over winter here in the Pacific Northwest.

8829231798_095f55542d_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
8829218214_0bd37cf769_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
8468258279_1f7eba7fb6.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Definitely looking light-starved, get them out of the shade and into full sun. It looks like you have good light out on the lawn, if you can move them out there you should see a big improvement especially from the Sarracenia.

Well, then... Does the temperature drop to about fifty or sixty degrees daytime and never go below freezing during the winter? If so, your plant probably went dormant just fine. Honestly, though, these can be high-maintenance pants and it isn't a good idea to just throw them in the yard and forget about them. I trust you did check up on it from time to time?

Basically, yes. I do bring them inside during extreme cold spell (or hurricanes so they don't fly away), but I'm not too terribly far from where they grow natively.

Definitely looking light-starved, get them out of the shade and into full sun. It looks like you have good light out on the lawn, if you can move them out there you should see a big improvement especially from the Sarracenia.

ill see if i can get them further out from the tree. The gazebo thing they're on is high enough to keep them from the dogs and the 2 year old. :p. Hence the placement. On the upside, the back yard does face south at least.

Back