What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
Hey everyone. I have a few things up for trade. I'm not looking for anything particular. Send me a PM.

Staghorn fern x1
I've been neglecting it a bit lately so it's not perfect, but still in good condition.
P1010406.jpg

Size reference
P1010405.jpg

Corkscrew Rush (Juncus effusus 'Spiralis') x2
I am currently growing it three different ways. I have some in my bog, I have it growing underwater in my water garden, and I also have some growing in pots sitting in a tray of water.

Here's the two up for trade. I made the divisions a few months ago. I'd say they have settled in, the roots are growing out of the bottom of the pots already. These have been growing in the tray.
P1010396.jpg

Growing in the bog.
P1010398.jpg

Growing in the water garden.
P1010397.jpg

Pothos x However many is wanted
I have a few rooted cuttings, most will be unrooted. This can be rooted easily by putting in a vase of water.
P1010402.jpg

Velvety Red variety of Pothos x2 (enough for two people, will receive enough cuttings for a good start) Rooted the same way as regular pothos. Will be unrooted cuttings.
P1010404.jpg

Neoregelia carolinae (uncertain, it came unlabeled) x1

This was a pup from my larger plant. It was cut a few months ago. It may or may not be rooted.
P1010394.jpg

D. x Marston Dragon x3

Two of the three pictured. The third is a little smaller. They are all root cuttings.
P1010400.jpg

D. binata dichotoma 'Giant Form'

Smallish root cutting.
P1010401.jpg

I also have java moss available. I can't guarantee it will be snail free.

Thanks for looking,
Crystal

Hi Crystal,

Are those binatas true "Marston Dragons?" They look like generic binatas to me - but it may be because they're immature. Do you have a pic of the parent plant?

Hey Schloaty,

As far as I know they are true D. x Marston Dragons. I want to say I received them from Clint sometime last year. They were pretty young when I got them. I'm ashamed to say they've had a time since I've had them. The one pictured was left outside and receive a dormancy; it nearly didn't pull through. The other struggled inside under poor lighting all winter (I've just recently upgraded my lighting and purchased a grow rack).

P1010409.jpg

The cuttings are only a couple months old and are definitely too young to start showing the traits. As far as my two original plants go, with the tough time and being young when received, they also may be too young to show the traits. The Dragons were my first two binatas until a couple months ago.

Thanks for your interest,
Crystal

Thanks for the picture, Crystal - from that picture, it doesn't look like any of the leaves have four forks, like I would expect from a Marston.

Did any of your leaves have four (rather than two) forks, situated in such a way that the whole leaf looks like a claw (kind of), whence the plant got it's name?

No problem.

Not since I've had it. It's definitely had it's ups and downs with me. Maybe the near death experiences have set it back with making the leaves that give it its name? The growth you see is the first of the season. My D. binata dichotoma has finally made it's only four forked leaf and it's not consistent. Some of the new leaves opening up only have the basic two forks. Could age be a factor for the Marston or do you think I have a mis-id?

Thanks,
Crystal

Alright guys I have the following left:

One Corkscrew Rush (Juncus effusus 'Spiralis')

Pothos is still coming out of my ears. I have some of the red variety left too.

Neoregelia carolinae

One D. x Marston Dragon

and if anyone is interested, I have some grindal worm cultures. They are mainly used in the aquarium world to feed fish though I don't see why you can't use them to feed your carnivores. I'm going to start using them to feed my Neps. They are easy to culture, use damp peat in a container; feed fish food (or anything that is preferred to transfer the nutrition on to whatever you are feeding). If you don't have anything for trade, I'll send them out for the cost of Priority shipping. They will be small starter cultures.

Thanks to the people that have taken some of these plants off my hands :).

Probably anything that I have left after this week, I'll just donate to the upcoming benefit auction.

Crystal

Yeah,

My D. binata 'multifida' adults put out multiple claws however when I get rooted cuttings it takes a while for them to start branching muliple times. I bet its still D. 'Marston Dragon'.

Thanks for sharing your experience Victor. I really hope they are indeed D. x Marston Dragon. I have some other varieties of D. binata that are supposed to be multi forked types but have yet to produce the leaves. I got them from reputable sources. I guess it just shows they take time.

BTW your avatar is so cute :).

Crystal

It does look like my Marston Dragon. They don't start forking until they're much larger.

Back