What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stratified ginseng seeds

I have 10 packets of 25 prestratified ginseng seeds up for trade. The ones is have planted are sprouting up like crazy. I will acccept trades or work something out with me via pm. I will also provide care instructions on planting and maintain, and also preparing the soil for your ginseng roots

Last edited by a moderator:
It's American wild ginseng? How long does it take to sprout ginseng seeds? Is it easy to grow? What kind of soil is it? Thanks.

yes if this is America wild ginseng, I would be interested..especially if it came from here in NY.

yes this is American Ginseng. The roots take about 10 yrs to fully mature the first year you will only have 3 small leaves. it is a very slow growling plant. Its relatively easy to grow in my oppinion but there are others out there who will argue this point. A shady north facing slope is realtively the perfect habitat due to a the shade and be the drainage it provides for the ginseng. the soil should be tilled as if you were growing carrots. A good earthy organic soil is best. All my plots i have made i mix the dead leaves right in with them and also add oak leaves as an extra special ingredient... if you do not have slopes available then a shady well drained area should be provided. I have 2 yr old plants in pots right now that are starting to produce shoots. Pots need to be deep and dried leaves and other organic forest matter should be added every year... from online research i can find no one else growing them in pots so this is a trail and error approach for me. Best to be planted outdoors to insure proper survival. Start them on a paper towel and keep them warm for about 2 to 3 week, most of the seeds are already split open but some may only split while in this process, many of them will start to produce the main root. Plant into proper location by scattering the seeds on top of the churned up soil. seeds can be either completly covered by soil or exposed. I cover about 50 percent of my seeds to make it alittle harder for predators such as turkeys squirrels and other seed eating creature to find. After seeds are in place cover area with dead or dying leaves, they can either be dried leaves or leaves that have already started the decaying process does not matter. This also helps with predators and ensures that there will be nutrients for the developing roots and for future growth. Ginseng is highly prized and may become a hot item for plant thieves. If planting in a wooded lot make sure your track are covered and speak of the location to no one. As of last years market prices ginseng was around 1,200 a pound for 5yr old roots and up.. No market will accept ginseng roots unless they are 3 pronged

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

yes they are from right here in ny

I have some goji seeds that I would like to trade.

Riceman I have tons of goji seeds and plants. Can't seem to give them away quick enough lol. Thanks for the offer tho

Back