What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strategies to send plant material for the price of a stamp

• Thread starter RandyS
  • Start date
I just remembered another plant I've propagated from small, very flat pieces: Homalocladium platycladon, "tapeworm plant". I guess these are technically stems, and all that's required to get a new plant is a piece with one node (very localized). I propagated these a few years ago; my mom has a big plant nearby.

The little guys with leaves are new plants.

thumbnail_homalocladium march12.jpg

Just because, you know, science.. tested the cracked coin capsule to see how it fared holding water. Left water sitting in it for a few hours over a paper towel and saw no sign of moisture underneath.
0F8DCC51-7D29-4F78-806A-AEF9E99EB5A7.jpeg
65BE80BD-BA1B-43D8-A8C9-C4C3E9206EB4.jpeg
However, there was clearly quite a bit of loss overnight with it sealed.
A03E2FAE-B8D1-4929-AECB-3E23373650AE.jpeg
C37FBE85-9517-4363-9497-217C338DB9E4.jpeg

Last edited:
When I get a chance, I'll try the following:

1) Water in undamaged coin case
2) Water in undamaged coin case inside ziploc bag
3) Water in undamaged coin case inside ziploc bag, moist paper towel inside ziploc bag

Then try cracking whichever one(s) show no water loss

My results:
image.jpg
image.jpg
I think that the bag somehow got pinched by the coin case and when the coin case cracked, everything(the water) just escaped.

I know you can wrap cuttings in damp paper towels, then put that in a bag. Idk if that would be practical though :/

Ohh I wonder if it evaporated through the cracks?

It sounds like of the 4 sent out (also reported privately), all 4 had problems with the coin case cracking and the cuttings drying. Whether they would have dried without the cracking seems unclear (?).

But did the case end up preventing the cuttings from being crushed? If so, that is the first goal. Adding something moist, a paper towel or sphagnum, perhaps inside the coin case and/or inside the bag might do the trick. Finally, encasing the whole thing in tape as a third barrier to moisture loss might be a final safeguard.

This is starting to seem complicated, but perhaps it can be done simply and quickly?

I'm going to wrap up a couple cuttings as follows:

1) Put cuttings in the coin case. Add moist paper towel inside the coin case, if it fits (probably rolled up, next to the cuttings, not surrounding). In principle, I could even directly spray a small amount of water, but I'm not sure I want to do this in general.

2) Put a fair amount of barely moist paper towel inside the bag, outside the coin case. Presumably this would eliminate any evaporation from even a cracked or intact but less than airtight coin case.

3) Encase the whole thing in tape in case the coin case cracks AND the bag rips.

4) Crush with some pliers to the point where the coin case is cracked, but still basically intact. And see what happens.

So far, from what I'm aware, the coin case has served as a framework to keep the cuttings from being smashed by the rollers. Please let me know if anyone thinks otherwise. So water loss is the concern at this point.

Here's what I just described, using the same numbering. However, I crushed the coin case before sealing with tape, so I left those numbers as is:

IMG_8389.jpg

IMG_8392.jpg

IMG_8396.jpg

IMG_8401.jpg

IMG_8404.jpg

I could either see what happens here to those cuttings above, or pop them in the mail. It would certainly be trivial to do the latter. So if anyone wants me to send it, please let me know. It could be interesting to see how a coin case that has been cracked from the beginning handles the trip.

To follow up on a couple things:

I checked the coin case that I sent myself (which went to Oakland). There are cracks in the edge, but not across the center:

hairline cracks in coin case.jpg

This is what those cuttings look like today--I'm not seeing obvious signs of growth. I did start those before I sent them (on Jan. 28th), so they are over 3 weeks old. The D. binata cuttings that have been here the whole time are starting to grow. I'm not sure about D. capensis 'Red' cuttings that stayed here the whole time.

The mailed cuttings:

Mailed Drosera cuttings Feb. 23 .jpg

Quick picture update of the cuttings:3D49BF1A-5881-4BAB-AEF5-2E90485AD00D.jpeg

It can take some time. D. murfetii leaves take about 8 -10 weeks to sprout out with little ones. D. binata is part of a very quick to strike group.

Quick picture update of the cuttings:View attachment 11531
Do those look OK? I can't tell for sure from the photo
It can take some time. D. murfetii leaves take about 8 -10 weeks to sprout out with little ones. D. binata is part of a very quick to strike group.
D. binata from the same plant after 40 days with my conditions (temperature about 65 F). i think I noticed signs of life after 3 1/2 weeks.

Drosera binata Feb. 23 (40 days).jpg

NineLine sent cuttings similar to how Andrew42x89 suggessted, in a cardboard cutout. The cutting look great, and USPS did not complain about the rigidity.

Cuttings from NineLine.jpg

It looks like Drosera is part of some sort of Ramen dish.​

Super easy to cut out of the cardboard! I also put a small bit of wet paper towel in the coin case. Good test!

IMG_3926.jpeg

Unfortunately, I don't think my cuttings have any life left in them!

No, that doesn't look good. The ones I sent to myself look partially alive--I have plantlets coming from D. binata, not sure about D. capensis red. I'll have to take a picture.

What's funny is you can search for D. binata propagation online, and there are many almost identical photos.

I put that one on sphagnum to hopefully grow roots.

Back