What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange one this...

• Thread starter Noddy
  • Start date
Hi

Plant arrives through the post well packed...

Unwrap the plant carefully... Place on the side...

Then SNAP SNAP SNAP SNAP all within couple of minutes 4 traps auto close for no valid reason, do the traps not trigger in the dark or something missed ....

Nice plant however just hope it does not die now

It's a RED DRAGON

Advise please...

Noddy

it wont DIE! ive seen vft very often trigger from too much outside stimulation/ jostling about. espesially when taking a new one from the box it was shipped in. it only takes a day or two for them to go back to normal

This is how it is now ...

RedDragon-AkaiRyu.jpg

The new addition to the family ...

Noddy

My NEW RED DRAGON ;-) arrived... Pic Here

This is my latest VFT to the collection

RedDragon-AkaiRyu.jpg

Let's hope she keeps going ....

Noddy

WOW, that is beautiful. Where did you find that?

I hope you will take it outside and place under something for several days.

Traps will open in 24-36 hours.

You can stimulate the traps by rubbing the outsides - you don't have to touch the triggers inside.

Alexis but the pot was sitting on the side when they went SNAP...

Jimscott I have placed it next to the others that are doing VERY well the water is checked daily, nice sunny spot with RH of 70% and Temp 26 - 35...c

I must be doing something right... And fresh rain water...

Noddy

Catrus thanks I am glad you like it

Noddy

Jostling the pot may have caused enough vibration to trigger the closure.

However it looks like the trap at around the 2:30 o'clock position might have something in it. It appears to be in the "phase two" leaf closure where the edges of the leaf curl outward and a "pouch" forms. This usually only happens if there is something digestible within the trap but further mechanical stimulation could cause it too.

Shine a light through the leaf from behind, sometimes you can make out a shadow and guess what, if anything, is inside.

I'll know when it opens I'll let you know

Noddy

Back