What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sterilize, sow, stoke: pulchella hybrids

I'm stoked today because two of my pulchella hybrids have germinated recently: collina x pulchella and [heterodoxa x ionasi] x pulchella. In huberi x pulchella, the father's bristles came through nicely. So I'm really hopeful that I can get the orange color, size, and form from HxI plus the bristles from pulchella. Still waiting on most of the seeds in vitro, but I was starting to give up hope so I'm just grateful to see signs of life. FWIW collina x self also yielded viable sprouts.

Woohoo,

Congrats on the new hybrids Mike!!

pics please!

Thanks for writing guys, I hope you are both doing well. Thanks also for your generous charity donations.

>After how long?

the collinas and collina x pulchella seed were sown 12/12/13, the [heterodoxa x ionasi] x pulchellas 12/30/13. These were the first of my fall crosses last year so hopefully there's still a chance for the later crosses ([HxI] x minor, [Hxi] X SELF, [Hx minor] x [HXI], tatei x folliculata, folliculata x x tequila, tatei xx tequila and the reverse, tatei x ionasi) to also sprout. I keep my jars probably cooler than I should (constant 66), I think that along with a high osmolarity medium is why germination always seems to take a long time (6+ months for N. rajah), but for various reasons it's difficult for me to arrange a warm days/cool nights regime for the jars.

>pics please!

Since you didn't ask for good pics I can oblige. I always sow everything in vitro but these here were either rescues from contaminated jars or were a few leftovers if i ran out of jars while plating. Clockwise from top left is pulchella akopan, then collina x self, then collina x pulchella.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7408/13760107483_6626f5e102.jpg

The [HxI] x pulchella is just a little green radicle poking out, I can't even get a bad photo of that through the jar wall. Here are some of the seedlings from last year [Tim Krug's pulchella x [glabra x nutans], nutans x pulchella, and [glabra x nutans] xx tequila, and my tatei x [arenicola x ionasi] and the reverse, multiplying:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3672/13760440974_734ec7703a.jpg

Edit: This below is the huberi x pulchella. NB I didn't have any hand in this, Andreas sold this as a "huberi", but he confirmed that at least one of his clone lines was hybrid. I actually bought this in the NASC auction last year. But seeing the hairs come through from pulchella gives me hope for using that species to advantage in other crosses. What I really hope to make this year is sarracenioides x exappendiculata, it would be interesting to see what sort of nectar spoon or bubble or what shows up in the offspring.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7432/13782028653_bbcdb057ff.jpg

Last edited:
Back