What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stem/leaf cutting propagation

I have recently posted a question about cutting propagation but am not sure how it is done. Can anyone explain to me how it is done properly?

ThanX!

Alright pipsueak, here are the steps:
smile.gif

1) First take the soil out of the pot
2) Submerge the soil into a bucket full of water
3) Gently clean around the plant, make sure not to disturb any roots growing
4) Take the plant out and find yourself a suitable leaf
5) Take anything with a sharp blade and gently cut the leafblade including the white
6) Next cut off the trap
7) Place cutting in a propergator in living sphganum moss
8) Within a couple of weeks, you should start to notice buds at the end of the stem
9) CONGRATULATIONS!!! You just got a new baby VFT.

Hope this helps.

umm what is a propegator?? and where can you buy one at?
wink.gif

Some people pull the leaf downward to remove it. I have done it and sometimes it removes some roots. The leaf cuttings grow much faster and has more babies but the parent plant gets stressed from losing roots. My cuttings also have a higher succes rate if placed in a dish of water rather than potting them up. More contact with moisture so they won't dry out (they don't have roots, so this helps get more water). Not sure if living sphagnum will be better, don't have enough to try, I just used peat/sand. But the babies seemed to grow faster in water, so I threw all my peat growing cuttings into the dish and they grew faster.
smile.gif

About propagation trays. Ever buy a 6 pack of annuals? Well a propagation tray can bought in the store and its basically a larger tray of a lot of these things connected together that usually come with a clear cover to help with humidity. Usually the plastic is more durable than the 6 pack annual ones.

I see them at any place that sells plants. A lot of kinds at my local OSH.

Photo of leaf cutting grown in a petri dish of water.
flyleaf.jpg

Joe

I now understand how the process works,but i still have questions.
I don't have a petri dish, so can i use a cup or a plate with water until i get one? Can I buy a petri dish at a nursurie? How long do I wait until i can plant the new little baby vft?
ThanX a bunch
smile.gif

pipsqueak, I waited for two weeks for a bud to pop up. But it all depends on the enviroment you're providing for the cutting.
My propergation method is that I provide the cutting VERY high humidity and adequate light.

Back