What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stay safe!! Know more than the "pros"

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
So- that title is strange and possibly doesn't fit what I'm trying to say. But what I'm saying is have a little bit of knowledge about what you deal with... even if you can't do it yourself.

My example:

Today I had to go down and have my 100lb propane tank filled. Obviously I can't do that myself. But I'm glad I know a little bit about it. What I do know is:

-Over flow protection valves do NOT come on 100lb tanks (indicated by no triangle valve knob and the warning stickers on the tank :-O )
-Completely empty (new) these tanks hold approx 22.3 gallons of propane
-To fill the tank, you start flowing propane and open that valve on the side. When it starts throwing out liquid instead of gas from that valve- your tanks is at the "safe by volume" mark and you should stop filling.

Why does it matter that I (or you if you need to fill these) should know this??

Today I took my 100lb tank down to a U-Haul to have it filled for the g/h heater. First I made sure that his tag said "Propane Certified" CHECK. Even better, it said "General Manager", but I still didn't trust him. So I walked with him back out to my truck as he left to fill it. As he's getting the hose hooked to my tank he says "I haven't filled many of these, what do they hold?" I stated "22.3 lbs bone dry. I generally get 18.5 gallons since I don't run them all the way empty." So on he goes filling my tank..... Without opening that little valve I always see get opened. Finally at 20lbs I say "Shouldn't that valve be open to know when it's full??" at this point he informs me "I just wanted to get close to the fill- there is a safety valve that will tell us it's full anyway." (refer back to "what i know" above to see there is no valve on this tank.) As I'm telling him I'm pretty sure there is not he finally opens that valve and it's blowing liquid. uhm... that means it's full right? NOPE he keeps filling it to 27gallons. So I pay, and leave thinking I must not be remembering correctly!! I get home, run a search.. yep 22gallons.

Long story short- I call him back and tell him he put too much in, he again tells me they can't be over filled and besides there is a pressure relief valve. So, I call the Arizona propane association, they inform me that 27 gallons of propane probably shouldn't even fit in the tank! They get another higher up person to confirm this is not good... As they're telling me to go ahead and hook it to my heater right away and run it full blast to get the pressure down, I walk out to my truck to find it leaking. As I tell them this, they tell me to take it right away to ameri-gas where they can safely and quickly burn off the gas. Lets remember I had my truck parked in the shade to keep the pressure from going up to fast. But in Az we have wide swinging temps. Our nights are about 40 and are days are like 80. They 3 wayed in the head guy from ameri-gas so he was expecting me. By the time we got there it was leaking quite bad. They opened the main valve and it threw liquid. At that point they said the tank was all the way filled with liquid with no room for expansion and quickly burned off some through a pipe that was like 50 ft in the air with a burner.

By the time I got back to the u-haul place the guy was already processing my credit. (It turns out ameri-gas provides that place their gas, had already contacted him and set up a "class" for this Thursday. So now the tank can safely be hooked up to my greenhouse... only 3 hours after it was filled. :crazy: I would not have been happy to have that valve pop while the pilot light for the heater was on! That could have been baaad.

So learn just a little about everything you deal with. And stay safe.
Andrew

dont it suck when you know more than the experts? been a few times when i told someone....."fine you go ahead and do that but give me a head start to get the hell out of here"......"dude that wire is still hot"...."NO IT AINT!".......pfzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt........ :D

Wow, I'm sorry, but that guy does sound kinda stupid. But I think you should've stepped in and said what ya knew, but anyways at least he's gonna have to go to "classes" now. :p

I had a kinda similar thing happen recently, but it wasn't as extreme.

I went to a hydroponics store to look for pumice (considering they tend to use those kinds of materials), and I asked the guy at the front. He said, "Just a minute" and went to the back, and the older manager guy came to the front and said "You're looking for what? Pumice? What's that?"

I said it's basically like perlite, but still has some differences. He said he had never heard of it and didn't know what I was talking about. I mean, seriously. This guy was like 65 and probably had been growing plants for a considerable amount of time, and he had never heard of pumice?!

He even said that this sandstone-looking growing material was not sandstone, but rather of the element "silicate". The formula for sandstone is, after all, SiO2. :-D

-Ben

S.- LOL it's funniest when it's someone elses electrical :D

Drosera- I tried to.. he just kept "correcting" me. ???

LOL it's funny how if it isn't in their little "circle" of media they know nothing about it... even when in business for something like that. You think he'd at least make a call or open a book. hah

That's really kinda scarey.... :(

I'm glad you did not blow up.

That sucks, good thing it didn't blow up. When we were going to get a soft above ground pool, we researched on the computer about what should be under them. I think it was supposed to be sand. So we had some guys come over and dig a hole in the backyard to make the pool level, and my mom asked if they were going to use sand in the hole. They didn't use sand, they used big sharp gravel. They wouldn't stop saying "We know what we're doing." So we set up the pool, and the gravel poked a hole/holes in it. We couldn't find the hole to fix it so the pool got to sit in a box in the garage and we got to have a big hole in the backyard.

Back