What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sphagnum?

theyellowdart

sea bear returns!
Yesterday I was wandering through the wooded part of my backyard with a small stream when I came across this...
(sorry for the shotty pictures, they're from my cell phone)
0405091624_0001.jpg

0405091624a_0001.jpg

0405091624b_0001.jpg

0405091624c_0002.jpg

0405091625.jpg

Is this actual sphagnum?

It was growing on the south edge of a fairly wooded area... And as you can see in the picture, it was partly shaded, but probably recieved direct sun during parts of the day.

Think I can naturalize a VFT back there? The soil seems wet and peaty enough. :D

nope doesnt appear to be sphagnum...ive got the same crap growing all over my yard LOL

Are you sure? It had the same consistency and everything as the sphagnum that I grow my cps in.

ah that last photo looks like it could be possibly...

Hmm. Well, it doesn't look like sphagnum, but at the same time it does...I looked through Google and some pictures looked very similar, but not exactly the same. So I don't know, but I'm leaning a slighty bit more on the 'not' side.

yeah same here cap.
im growing a few varieties of sphagnum, i know there is a ton of em but yeah.....looks like the yardmoss we have here after it rains :\

You could try it, with a cheap cp, to see if it survives or not. experiment, only way you'll learn for sure :)

not true LOL
if we got a better pic, and say he took a strand out for a good shot, that could help ;)

Prehaps with you could get a strand and take some shots of it...?

Maybe if you pulled out a strand and took a shot of it...jk :-))
It looks like spagnum to me, tho.
Plus, I've seen several people from NC report they have live sphag in their backyard, so I wouldn't doubt it for one second if that's the real deal.

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, I'll definately go back there with my good camera and take better pictures tomorrow if it isn't raining.

I'm still pretty convinced it's sphagnum. The stuff is unlike any moss I've seen before, plus it was very wet and seemed to retain a lot of water.

It doesn't look like Sphagnum to me. It's missing the fluffy "rosettes" on the tops that are typical of Sphagnum.

IIRC, it does have those rosettes NAN. The pictures just don't show them too well.

Better pictures are in order. lol

Wow, your phone camera takes awesome pics compared to mine. It looks a little like sphagnum... Maybe you could put some in a pot and try growing something in it?

Or do the crazy experiment you wanted to do with a vft? :D

It doesn't look quite right for sphagnum to me either.

I grabbed some of this out of my uncles yard a couple of years ago. It's growing,happily, in my bog with my pitchers and traps. It's beautiful and lush, and so far I've had no problems. I do believe it's an sphagnum.

Back