What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum moss photo page?

Hey everyone!

I thought it would be interesting to add a "Sphagnum moss photo page" to my website. Mainly just sphagnum in cultivation. I was originally going to only post photos of my sphagnum moss, but it's not the best example of how it can really be grown in cultivation.

Here's what I have to far.

Voice your opinions, please!

Thanks!

*edit

I was thinking that, whenever there are some nice pics of Sphagnum on here or any other forum, I would ask permission and post them on the page. And of course I would say who's pictures they are in the captions of the photo on the page.

Last edited:
Since there is something in the neighborhood of three hundred and fifty species of sphagnum (and counting), you've got your work cut out for you.

Great idea, by the way . . .

Heliamphora nutans x ionasii
HNUTANSXIONASII.jpg

H. pulchella
HPULCHELLA-1.jpg

Sounds like a fun project. You'll get a lot of duplicates since people may have obtained their starters from the same sources with the species unidentified. It takes a microscope to distinguish many of the characteristics between species and spores are a rare occurrence. Location data would certainly help sort out duplicates.

I'll take some photos next week.

Meanwhile look at this page which has some nice macro shots:
http://culturesheet.org/sphagnaceae:sphagnum

S. palustre

variable depending on the amount of light and how wet

DSC_00050003_3.jpg

DSC_00060004_2.jpg

DSC_00030001_14.jpg

DSC_00020001_6.jpg

Last edited:
Since there is something in the neighborhood of three hundred and fifty species of sphagnum (and counting), you've got your work cut out for you.

Great idea, by the way . . .

I'm not sure that I want to attempt getting photos of all of the species, but instead just examples of how they grow in cultivation. If there is an identification for the Sphagnum though, then I will state it in the caption.

Stunning Sphagnum and Heliamphoras by the way. :0o: Thanks for the photos, too. :)

Sounds like a fun project. You'll get a lot of duplicates since people may have obtained their starters from the same sources with the species unidentified. It takes a microscope to distinguish many of the characteristics between species and spores are a rare occurrence. Location data would certainly help sort out duplicates.

I'll take some photos next week.

Meanwhile look at this page which has some nice macro shots:
http://culturesheet.org/sphagnaceae:sphagnum

Thanks for the website. Lots of great stuff there.

Just to make sure, I should be asking people if I could use their photos, correct?

S. palustris

variable depending on the amount of light and how wet

Thanks for the identified Sphagnum and photos!

I'm glad everyone seems to like the idea so far.

Since this will likely get tons of photos over time, should it be moved to a better website? Perhaps someone could create something like the Cpphotofinder. Or, do you think it will be alright attached to my website for now?

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

I've added the photos to the page, with captions of who they are from, what's growing in the Sphagnum, and what conditions (I think) they are in. Correct me if I'm wrong...

here they are!

http://plants.usda.gov/java/imageGa...sort=100&sort=sciname&submit.x=16&submit.y=13

Ive grown quite a few species over the years, including importing live cultures from NZ.
But the best for CP's in my experience seems to be the one I call S. "super fluffy". It far exceeded the NZ variants in fluffyness, hardiness and growth rates.
It has been widely distributed in the Cp'er circles over the years
(I suspect it is a S. squarrosum variant)

My least favorite has been the east coast "red" variant that is stringy and burgandy colored when grown in good light

Super Fluffy
IMG_1878.JPG

Sphagnum is extremely hard to visually identify, so much depends on conditions.

Last edited:
Av8tor, are you suggesting I use those photos, or are you suggesting there is basically already a Sphagnum photo page?

ummm neither really, just a nice ref page

:)

Some old pics of mine:
sphagnum-cristatum-week1.jpg

sphagnum-falcatulum-week1.jpg

sphagnum-subnitens-week1.jpg

(S. subnitens NZ is the slowest growing species I have ever seen, less then an inch a year)

Same cultues one month later:
sphagnum-cristatum-month1.jpg

sphagnum-falcatulum-month1.jpg

sphagnum-subnitens-month1.jpg

Last edited:
Lol, ok. I was just wondering. :)

edit*

Sorry, I didn't realize you were in the process of editing your post.

Red pinhead moss from michigan (needs a bit more light to turn all red)

Nglabrata_6-30-11.jpg

Thanks again for the photos everyone. :awesome: I've added all of them, if you notice anything that needs to be corrected (including spelling) let me know here.

All of the photos everyone has provided are great examples. (much better than mine) I really appreciate sharing them. :)

Great idea! I can post some Sphag pics from Meadowview's expanding collection as soon as I upgrade my Flickr account. We have several ID and unidentified species that we've collected from a few locations in VA.

A comprehensive Sphagnum page would be very appreciated by many botanists and hobbyists alike.

Thank you wire man. :)

I just thought of a new way we could organize it. I'm not sure if it would be best though, and would like your opinions again.

I was thinking we should separate "non-identified" Sphagnum and "Identified" Sphagnum, and in the "identified" Sphagnum page we could organize each species we have photos of. I'll probably be editing the page a lot this week/month... Just saying. :p

Back