What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum moss max ppm/tds

I have always bought distilled water from the groceries store to water all my plants up until last year when I got a tds meter and found my tap water was around 70 ppm. However I still use distilled water for pots that have live sphagnum in them since I've read that live sphag is very sensitive to dissolved solids in water, so I was wondering if I could get away with using tap water for my live sphag or if it's to risky. A very big carnivorous plant nursury says any water below 160 ppm is good, but I think that's definitely too high for sphag, what do you think? Might just remove a few live strands and water them with tap water to find out.

I've used tap water wth TDS around 70 ppm in the past; though, have let it stand, twelve hours or more, to allow chlorine from the city water to off-gas. Chloramine, however, is becoming more common and takes far longer to dissipate . . .

Last edited:
I thought chloramine can't really be removed from water by evap? Theres even lots of debate on wether it can be effectively removed with some ro/di units that are made for it.

maybe someone else can elaborate more on this...

I thought chloramine can't really be removed from water by evap? Theres even lots of debate on wether it can be effectively removed with some ro/di units that are made for it.

maybe someone else can elaborate more on this...

"Chloramine is not a persistent disinfectant and decomposes easily from a chemistry point of view (Valentine et al, 1998) but for water supply purposes chloramine is stable and it takes days to dissipate in the absence of substances exerting chloramine demand (Wilczak et al., 2003b). Therefore, it is not practical to remove chloramine by letting an open container of water stand because it may take days for chloramine to dissipate . . ."

I've used tap water wth TDS around 70 ppm in the past; though, have let it stand, twelve hours or more, to allow chlorine from the city water to off-gas. Chloramine, however, is becoming more common and takes far longer to dissipate . . .

So is that a yes? If a leave water out for a week it should be good? Interestingly enough bigbella yesterday I read your whole thread on coffee for sphagnum and nepenthes, so I deicded to give it a go. I tested the TDS of the coffee and it was at 750, even though the coffee was made with distilled water! I proceded anyways and today after flushing the pots the sphagnum looks fine. Now only time will tell if the coffee actually worked 😈😈😈

So is that a yes? If a leave water out for a week it should be good? Interestingly enough bigbella yesterday I read your whole thread on coffee for sphagnum and nepenthes, so I deicded to give it a go. I tested the TDS of the coffee and it was at 750, even though the coffee was made with distilled water! I proceded anyways and today after flushing the pots the sphagnum looks fine. Now only time will tell if the coffee actually worked ������

Yeah, it just takes a while, as mentioned above; and chloramine even passes through RO units intact, so far as I have been told. It simply wasn't practical or even safe for everyday drinking water, to stand out, for obvious reasons . . .

I tested the TDS of the coffee and it was at 750, even though the coffee was made with distilled water!

Just a small note here, given that you're dissolving a solid (coffee) into the distilled water, I'd be more concerned if the TDS (total dissolved solids) remained low.

What about fluorides in tap water?
ripper200-6be468b10eaa256824b972a4dc6fcbaa67dae3fc-s6-c30.jpg

What about fluorides in tap water?
ripper200-6be468b10eaa256824b972a4dc6fcbaa67dae3fc-s6-c30.jpg

Lmao that pic. Back to the main point if the tds is so low the amount of fluorides is probably not high enough to damage the moss? Right now I am trying a whole new setup with my moss, so if it grows successfully then I'll experiment, for now I guess I'll stick with the safer option, in this case distilled water. If anyone has enough moss, and is willing to experiment before me go ahead, the more information the better.

Back