What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something is attacking the plants. Need help IDing the problem.

gill_za

Never Knows Best
Hello,

The plants below grow in two different pots outside. One pot with Venus Fly taps sits in a tray of water. The other is a recirculating self watering pot (water changed every two weeks).
Plants are also treated with White shark and Ampac trichoderma mix with every water change. This problem appeared a week ago. Prior to that we had 3 weeks of constantly gloomy weather and rain.

In a water tray: Only one plant is so far affected.

Portion of the stem is drying
27330127821_3bde6b80d8_c.jpg

27303141952_11c5592805_c.jpg

Part of the trap is just shriveling away. Stem is also twisted.
27125538430_f95a64db43_c.jpg

In the recirculating bog:
D. Filiformis is showing similar blemishes on the stem. Stem is also deformed.

26794509513_0a78fec494_c.jpg

27330415971_ae4e3bcb25_c.jpg

Plant in the opposite corner from D. Filiformis:

27330118651_16d3ccb951_c.jpg

Sarracenia and the affected Flytrap came from a respectable nursery. They are sitting in different pots, far from each other. Filiformis is my old plant and was added to the recirculating bog far later after the Sarracenia. There are other plants in both pots that don't seem to be affected at all. I have dug up Filiformis and it has no root rot and looks healthy below the ground.

Any help is appreciated.

Aphids or mites come to mind, but I'm really not sure.

Checked. None present.

That damage does not appear consistent with mites or aphids. I would suspect a larger critter but they usually chew off pieces of the leaves, not just cause brown spots.

Could that be "sunburn"? As I mentioned we had 3 (or more weeks) of gloomy weather with temps as low as 40F at night and then all of a sudden a clear week with temps in high 80F. Most of the plants have not seen full sunlight since they were planted.

The Sarracenia definitely shows sun damage; the others could be damage from sun combined with water on the leaves, or some sort of physical abrasion.

Back