What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some of my chickens

• Thread starter Bio
  • Start date

Bio

Plant Whisperer
I've been keeping chickens for a few years now, and have over thirty currently, and here are a few of my favorites:

1423346020780_zpsaenz6gz9.jpg

The largest of my three Dark Brahmas. They are the second largest breed of chicken, and hens can weigh up to nine pounds.

edb36393-e63d-46bc-9602-e5e6d90494dc_zps0ajhukm4.jpg

One of my favorite Black Silkies.

1423350789862_zpsmshlsdcj.jpg

My only Polish hen. Sorry for the terrible image; she did NOT want her picture taken. This was the best photo I was able to get of her.

Nice birds. They're highly underrated as companion animals. Being a common food will do that.

i love chickens, kept them as a kid. but no more.. Our city will only allow us each to have 3 i think.

Also silkie chickens are the best to make soup with. THEY ARE DELICIOUS

Mmm, when's dinner? :-D

Beautiful birds. Love that silkie!

Very nice! Chickens are great pets, especially banties.

CHICKENS :D

I love chickens man. cool animals.
Got any easter chickens?

ha ha ha that last one has great "hair"! :awesome:

I used to care for chickens in my childhood, they can be very fun to interact with.

Heres one of my hens. She's a polish x Easter Egger that I hatched last year.

Now THATS a chicken

Nice chickens guys. I love chickens... we only have one rooster at the moment. He is a lonely guy. :(

Really love the polish x auricana, that is a really pretty bird.

Thanks everyone. Chickens (hens, at least ;) ) are great animals to have. They aren't very hard to take care of, and are typically not very aggressive. Roosters are usually not so nice, but there are exceptions. Most are undeserving of their reputation.

@dionae- That is a very nice bird. It makes me regret never taking any pictures of my Polish x Silkie hybrid rooster. Now THAT was an incredible chicken!

Last edited:
Interesting that you crossed Polish and Araucana. Two of my favorite breeds.

Thanks everyone. Chickens (hens, at least ;) ) are great animals to have. They aren't very hard to take care of, and are typically not very aggressive. Roosters are usually not so nice, but there are exceptions. Most are undeserving of their reputation.

@dionae- That is a very nice bird. It makes me regret never taking any pictures of my Polish x Silkie hybrid rooster. Now THAT was an incredible chicken!

My first job was working on a chicken farm, and shortly after I started a bond developed between myself and a rooster. That bird would have killed or died for me. Which sadly he did. Approaching me too closely guaranteed an attack, and when he sliced open the farmer's leg defending me, he became dinner. I bowed out of cleaning and cutting up that particular bird.

Thanks everyone!

Johnny-I actually got the eggs from a friend. She has lots of cool birds and its always a coin toss what youll get.

My first job was working on a chicken farm, and shortly after I started a bond developed between myself and a rooster. That bird would have killed or died for me. Which sadly he did. Approaching me too closely guaranteed an attack, and when he sliced open the farmer's leg defending me, he became dinner. I bowed out of cleaning and cutting up that particular bird.

Welp, there goes my mood.

Back