What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SoilMoist additive & CPs?

The people at Lowes said it was similar to Perlite, but I can't find any useful info on it.

Anyone know anything about it?

It's supposed to hold moisture for the plants, and looks like it contains 99.7% Polya\crylamide and .3% "inert ingredients".

Thoughts?

its no where close to being similar to perlite.....DO NOT USE IT!..........if yah cant find perlite try Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil......its heavier than perlite but it does the same thing.....

I don't even know what it is. I would not risk it though. Just go find perlite.

its a moisture retention additive yah add to potting soil....it does not act like perlite, it doesnt really open up the soil, just allows it to hold moisture longer.....the problem with it is after about a year or two the stuff starts to break down at which point its toxic to plants and animals i believe......doesnt seem to be a big deal in a big flower bed or in pots your growing annuals or veggies in and are tossing out in the fall....but for growing perenial plants and keeping them in the same soil for a year or two it can be bad news.......

Right then, glad I haven't opened it!

Stuff was like $12 for a 1lbs bag too! :eek:

I've had to mail order all my media components for my CP's. The lowes, walmarts, and home depots nearby only carry the Miracle-Gro crap. Miracle grow perlite. Miracle grow this, miracle grow that. And that's it. It's quite frustrating. They have quite the monopoly in these parts. I went to a local mom and pop nursery, and same thing there! Anyway, I know that soil with additive you are talking about, they carry that also. But no vanilla perlite (or orchid bark for that matter, the kind they sell around here even has that a moisture retaining additive also!).

:censor:

I would think that rinsing the media well of additives ought be enough to rid them of the fertilizers.

I know what you have. I bought a sample bag because it seemed to perfect for cps. I called the company to try and figure out if it was ok to use and of course they said it would be great for cp's, but like somebody says once it starts breaking down it releases toxic chemicals in the soil.

They should put that on the label.

as i said i have quit using perlite cause its a pain to find and i dont like the looks of it......this is what i use: Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil.....its much denser than perlite but that isnt necessarily a bad thing, it helps as a ballast for large neps that are vining....it holds moisture well, works great as a top dressing to keep moss down, is totally inert.....in fact im growing some Mexi pings in 4 parts APS and 1 part peat and they are loving it, im getting much more robust root growth than i have in the past. any more i just buy the APS and substitute it anywhere that i think sand or perlite or fine orchid bark would be useful

That stuff is great for germinating seeds or keeping things wet (like if your house is so dry that it bothers your houseplants) but whoever told you it was like perlite should be shot out of a cannon... It's basically the opposite of perlite; it makes the mix denser, less porous and more damp. Limited usefulness... I wouldn't use it with most things; certainly not CPs. I think it's petrochemical in origin so it probably won't be very good once it starts to decay. I have a spider plant in a hanging basket that had some of those things in the mix because I was worried about keeping it wet - three years later it seems all the crystals have dissolved into the water and drained away, as the soil level has dropped more than an inch and there is virtually no aeration whatsoever.
I've got to second rattler on the aquatic soil (sold generically as fired ceramic chips.) Heavier, yes, but it doesn't interfere with airflow at all. I still use perlite because it's cheaper, but I'll typically substitute in ceramic instead in the top half/third of pots to help negate the floating perlite syndrome.
~Joe

Anyone have any experience using Pond Care Aquatic Plant Soil? I know it's got zeolite and something else in it according to the bag which is currently at home. I bought some from the local water garden shop and want to use it in my Sarrs rather than perlite since it won't float...

Will

Back