What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, what do you do for a living

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date
How about all my jobs.

I worked around 6 years at a sports card, coin, jewelery store.
4 years as a wireman. Wiring custom electrical control panels.
8 years as an electrical panel shop supervisor. Thing got slow - my job was eliminated.
smile_h_32.gif

almost 1 year selling automatic gates.
1 and a half years as an Electrical Engineer Technician for the company I work at for 8 years.... go figure?!

I arrest the guy driving who has only had two beers.

Web design. BFA, specialized in interactive design.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ June 17 2005,7:38)]How about all my jobs.
Elgecko, I'll follow your lead...

I worked for two years in a muffler factory
I then worked in Animatronics for 5 years (I made the elephants for RainForrest Cafe)
I worked in a flower shop
And now I'm a chef here in Ct

I also make a small amount of cash writing short fiction.

I am a CNC machinist in the aerospace industry. Mostly, anyway. I have made parts for the mars rovers, the landers that carried the mars rovers to the planet surface, various sattelites, the Airbus A380, Mcdonnel Douglas MD80, MD90, lots of stuff for Boeing, Lockheed Martin, so on and so forth, etc...etc...I have made parts for race trucks, race cars, Harleys, bicycle parts, etc....

i am a private pre school teacher. it is my life. i enjoy influencing the lives of young kids before it's too late.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You mean you can get paid for that? Where do I sign up for this I've been doing it for free for years.

lol yup its called babysitting/nanny. But I don't get paid much, I do it to help out the neighbors. They'd go insane otherwise
laugh.gif

Haha, I sit around, neglect my computer science homework, and pester my father about never paying my tuition on time. It's an easy life but I'm pretty sure I'd prefer to earn my own living... I like to be independant and I enjoy putting in my share of work. Unfortunately my family instilled me with this stupid value of education. :)
~Joe

Well, I am a webmaster and freelance writer, I also work part-time for a renfair jeweler (lapidary). Unless I'm at the jeweler's place working, I can telecommute (handy).

In college I got my BA in classical archaeology. During college I was a computer tech and lab-rat, doing hardware installs and helping at the CAD lab. That was over 10 years ago.

I am also secretary, historian, webmaster and con coordinator for the local gaming club that meets Sat evenings.

My four cats, and growing collection of CPs keep me sane while I work from home, as I don't get much RL company during the day.
smile.gif

I currently spend about half my life fooling around in the jungle in Borneo, Sulawesi, Sumatra, Papua New Guinea and anywhere else that looks like no one has been, searching for new plants. I make money by collecting seed of anything interesting that I find and propagating the plants and then selling them to private collectors or releasing them to large nurseries for "mass market" sale.

As an example I would estimate that about 95% of the people in the US, the UK and Europe that have Amorphophallus titanum in their collections have plants or seeds from me.
I also collect seed of Nepenthes and virtually any other unsual plant I find.

I love my job.

Cheers, Troy.

I work in the office of sponsored research in a big 10 university near Chicago, IL. I do prairie restoration for fun.

I know Pica...I was a pressman for years. I ran Halm 6" and 10" Jet presses. And I still have all my fingers.

Hey fatboy, I think I'm going to send you my resume. I would love to work for you.

Hi Ozzy

Not to rub it in, well maybe just a little, but I will go on one of my best trips ever this week. I won't go into the details right now but I plant to write an article when I get back with some (hopefully) juicy pics of some very famous and some rarely seen Neps.

Cheers, Troy.

I'm an environmental analyst, which means I sit in a cubicle and stare at reports or a computer screen all day.

26 years with Ma Bell. 16 years a linesman, 3 years an installer and repairman, 3 years splicing cable, 2 years Maintainance splicing, 2 years Microwave antenna technician.
Antenna tech was the best. We snowcat into the mountains, or have to helicopter to some of the antenna sites we have way back up there. Once we did a mule train in Springville, Calif., to get to an antenna site. Put in video feed for the (then) Crosby Golf tournaments, and video feeds at Edwards Air Force Base for the landing of the Space Shuttle. Got a tour there and saw my first SR-73(?) spy plane, and a tour of the shuttle Atlantis. I loved all the work that was way out and away from "civilization" and in the Sierras, all along the spine of those California Mountains.

Lucky you, Bugweed. I love the Sierras. My dad worked for Ma Bell his whole life. 40 years +. He was always trying to get us transferred to exotic places, Tehran, Iran being one of them, Nepal another.

Director of Education at Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens

See: www.mainegardens.org

I get paid to take poop off about 4,000 people.

"poop" huh? I think the original word was descriptive enough
smile_n_32.gif

Silly filters!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hortman @ June 18 2005,2:02)]Director of Education at Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens

See: www.mainegardens.org
John,
your place sounds great!
I wish I had known those gardens were there before!
My fiance and I were just in Boothbay Harbour last September! stayed there for almost a week..

This October we are going to Maine again for our honeymoon..
will the gardens be open late September - Early October?
or do you shut down for the winter by then?
Scot

Scot, we are open year-round. Sept. and Oct. are WONDERFUL times to be in Maine. The hoards of tourists are gone, many of the leaves are down...creating many more sightlines of the water everywhere, rates are down, the beautiful autumn sun makes everthing golden. Do you get the idea I love it here?

Contact me when you know your travel plans and I'll be glad to give you a tour.

Back