What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

small plant, carn or not, suggestions wanted

• Thread starter chibae
  • Start date

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Hi all. I have come to own two large reef rocks that look like they were cut for an aquarium. Almost a foot in height and the same across, with a large hole in the middle made for the fish to swim through. My plan is to set the first rock up horizontal, so the center hole can be filled with some sort of media. I am planning on "planting" pings and small lithophyte orchids that need the same humidity, light, and temperature range as the pings. What I can't decide on is the plant for the center hole. I would prefer something in the "miniature" to small range. It does not have to carnivours or an orchid.

Thanks in advance folks

I don't really have an idea but will try to think, how big is the center hole?

I don't really have an idea but will try to think, how big is the center hole?
About 3" x 2" and 2"deep. I am thinking maybe a slightly taller orchid can be anchored there and let it's roots crawl out

Small Begonias: B. bogneri, B. pteridoides or B. pteridiformis might work, if humid enough.

B. bogneri:

Begonia bogneri, bowl.jpg

Begonia pteridiformis, red form:

Begonia pteridiformis.jpg

B. pteridoides is closely related to B. bogneri, but the leaves are branched, instead of grass-like.

The first two are frequent bloomers. I assume the same is true of the last one.

If it's Tufa stone, it will wick water. Place the stone in a bowl of water, the water should wick up to the top of the rock. You'll be able to touch it and your fingers will come away wet. Great for all sorts of lithophytes that like it constantly moist. I tried growing acid loving Cape Sundews on them, from seeds placed on patches of moss. They sprouted and grew, till their roots hit the stone. The plants were dwarfed, I'm guessing since it was alkaline, or just too shallow, they lived dwarfed for months, till I removed them to more acidic conditions. But yeah, if you have tufa stone, you can even stand the rock vertically and you could have plants growing out of both sides of the rock with little need to water! But if you go with the "media filled hole: route, try Alocasia 'Tiny Dancers'.

Please post a photo of your rock.

This is Tufa Stone:
e41e385f78690707455753d69bcc7e34.jpg

Last edited:
rocks.jpg

If it's Tufa stone, it will wick water. Place the stone in a bowl of water, the water should wick up to the top of the rock. You'll be able to touch it and your fingers will come away wet. Great for all sorts of lithophytes that like it constantly moist. I tried growing acid loving Cape Sundews on them, from seeds placed on patches of moss. They sprouted and grew, till their roots hit the stone. The plants were dwarfed, I'm guessing since it was alkaline, or just too shallow, they lived dwarfed for months, till I removed them to more acidic conditions. But yeah, if you have tufa stone, you can even stand the rock vertically and you could have plants growing out of both sides of the rock with little need to water! But if you go with the "media filled hole: route, try Alocasia 'Tiny Dancers'.

Please post a photo of your rock.

This is Tufa Stone:
e41e385f78690707455753d69bcc7e34.jpg
Alocasia 'Tiny Dancers' is out, I have cats. I am thinking of doing one stone vertical and one horizontal. I have the space to do the smaller stone vertical right now.

You have lava rock. Won't wick, but will hold moisture in it's "pockets".
Photos when you've got it planted please!

For the horizontal, depending how "crafty" you're feeling, might I suggest making a cup-like insert which you could then turn into a pond?

As far as whethe r pH may be an issue, soak the stone in distilled water and then check the pH of the water. Volcanic rock can be either acidic or alkaline.

I thought lava rock was inert and pH neutral . . .

Back