What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skip stratification?

Hi,

I recently got some sarracenia seeds from a friend who has a bog tub in his backyard. He collected those seeds remained in the old flower about 5 days ago, which means they've spent their time outside through the whole winter. I'm wondering if I still have to put them in the fridge? can I skip stratification with these seeds?

Thanks

Ally

If they were outside all winter, you should be fine. It's what happens in nature after all. Also, that wouldn't really be "skipping" stratification, winter should have already stratified them.

Last edited:
The seeds need to be damp and cold to stratify. Otherwise my dry stored refrigerated seeds would germinate without stratification. How damp were they in the seed pods? You may get germination without damp cold stratification but maybe less than 15-20% vs 80% or more.

You can always hedge your bets and stratify some seed and just sow the other and see what happens.

It's still early in the year. you have time stratify the lot in the fridge.

Stratify - verb - place (seeds) close together in layers in moist sand or peat to preserve them or to help them germinate.

Back