What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SITES

unknownclown

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!!
My husband and I are in the middle of a move back to his homeland...England. We were talking about ordering plants and I told him I cant just order from anywhere due to SITES well he seems to think there is no department of agriculture here and that they do not aply whichI find quite strange. anyone know where I can look to prove I am right ??? (cause I am always right ya know haha)

try looking up CITES...........could help a bit :grin:

Barry Rice's FAQ website is a good place to start. S. rubra subsp. jonesii, S. alabamensis subsp. alabamensis and S. oreophila are covered under Appendix I. Dionaea muscipula, all other Sarracenia , and Nepenthes rajah and N. khasiana are covered by Appendix II. See Barry's summarization.

The Appedix I species are also covered by the Endangered Species Act.

CITES is an international trade law. It applies everywhere when shipping across country borders.

But at least there's CPUK and that whole European cooperation thing. You could trade with other Europeans and there's a store called, "Little Shop Of Horrors". Maybe you could visit the so-called "open days" that people like Mike King, Aidan, Gardenofeden, Vic Brown, etc... hold.

Now I think I understand the reference to being English, from a post made a few years ago.

COOL thanks everyone I knew it had to apply here it just wouldnt be right if it didnt. Although it would be a bit cool ;) now I just have to find me some uk friends who can point me in the right diretion as far as gaining new plants. Im not so sure about the mention of little shop of horrors arent they the ones who suply home depot and stuff?

You will make many friends on CPUK... and most likely encounter some old friends.

Just an FYI. I am dealing with a real fiasco of CITES vs. Phyto with the USDA. There is an agreement between the US and the EU which says that any plants given a Phyto for export are covered by CITES without the actual need for the CITES papers.

Check this site for more.

http://www.cites.org/eng/notif/1999/022.shtml

ANd you local USDA/APHIS/PPQ office should be able to help some.

CITES is a pain, but it does serve a good purpose. I think you'll have a great selection once you arrive "over there". Everyones growlist on the CPUK seems to be rather extensive and since they can trade across the entire EE the prices from what I've seen are lower than here. Good luck on your move.

COOL thanks everyone I knew it had to apply here it just wouldnt be right if it didnt. Although it would be a bit cool ;) now I just have to find me some uk friends who can point me in the right diretion as far as gaining new plants. Im not so sure about the mention of little shop of horrors arent they the ones who suply home depot and stuff?

We have a supplier called "Little Pot Of Horrors, but in the UK there should be a retailer called Little Shop...., after the old movie / musical. Anyways, check out CPUK and the forum called "Open Days". That's a great resource for meeting hobbyists and buying plants.

Back