What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Showoff your planted tank!

• Thread starter Millipede
  • Start date
well, i like lookin at my tank, and i like lookin at other peoples tanks. so why not have a thread devoted to showing off our planted aquariums!?

im hoping if enough people post their pics we can get this thread stickied :-D

ill start by posting my own. its my only one at the moment since i dont have much room right now to set up my other tanks

its a 4 gallon biorb with hair grass, micro sword, sagitarria and some hornwort (im gonna take out the hornwort eventually and add anubias instead)

current occupants: white cloud tetra

IMG_3658.jpg

this guy looks different than the rest. im not sure why
IMG_3657.jpg

Is it possible the "different" guy is a white cloud and the rest are neons?
I'm by no means an expert...just having vague memories of what I've seen in the petshop.

The funny looking white cloud moutain minnow is a gold white cloud... different strain, same species.

That's quite a bit of white clouds for one tank... I think that your tank should be at least a 20 gallon for all of those fish.

Once I get some nerite snails and my plants grow out a little more, I might post some pics of my horrid tank. ;)

theyre doing just fine. ive had the tank set up for a little over a month. i do 1/2 water change weekly

I agree with others...quite a bit of fish for only 4 gallons of water...

anyways, I havent taken any recent pics but I will try next time I get a WC in.

i've kept 15 fish in a 2.5 gallon before. a pair of Elasomma okeefenokee, and 13 Boraras merah. they did amazingly well---that is, until i had to go home from college. shortly after tearing down the tank, nothing was ever the same....

EDIT:
and oh---i NEVER changed the water....teehee. infact, i dont ever change the water in my fishtanks. i pretty much stole Reverse Ionized dH2O from college laboratores, and planted heavily. there was also a very large microscopic invert population as well. the only time i ever put water into the tank was when the waterline became low.

yeah i dont think i need to change the water as much as i do. ive kept tanks before and never changed the water either. just did top ups.

i dont see why your all on my case about my fish. they are quite content. and besides, theyre 8 for a dollar where i get them being sold as feeder fish. so their fate could have been much worse.

White clouds are not tetras. They are minnows.

Sure, white clouds are not tetras but when I had some and they bred they did have a bright blue streak when the light hit them just right when the babies were young, kinda like a neon tetra. In the pic the white clouds look rather thin and not shaped like a full-bodied adult so I'd guess they are not fully grown and maybe that is why some people think they look like neon tetras?

That is an insane number of fiah for that fish bowl.

Normally I'd get all up in your grill, but like you said they were feeder fish.

Test your water chemistry. The results will probably surprise you, especially with your filtration being so minimal.

Here's my 6 gallon. The Ludwigia ovalis has grown in a lot more since this photo and the Anubias lanceolata was divided. It's housing a few licorice gouramis.
P1050070.jpg

here's an updated pic of my tank! this was taken about 6 months ago at the end of May:

IMG_6859.jpg

IMG_6860.jpg

I did some "maintenance" a few weeks ago and ended up just annihilating most of the plants... i thought i could pull up the plants in one big chunk keeping most of it intact in order to clean out the subrate underneith then replace the plants, but they just went into shock and most died. i've got the tank all cleaned out of dead crap and im pretty much back where i started. oh well... at least the gravel is clean :crap:

Lovely tank! I wish I could have one on my desk

i've kept 15 fish in a 2.5 gallon before. a pair of Elasomma okeefenokee, and 13 Boraras merah. they did amazingly well---that is, until i had to go home from college. shortly after tearing down the tank, nothing was ever the same....

EDIT:
and oh---i NEVER changed the water....teehee. infact, i dont ever change the water in my fishtanks. i pretty much stole Reverse Ionized dH2O from college laboratores, and planted heavily. there was also a very large microscopic invert population as well. the only time i ever put water into the tank was when the waterline became low.

i do about a 10% water change on my tank montly... or so.
just to get the nitrates out, as i read they dont ever go away on their own?
any words on this?

The problem with not doing regular water changes is when something negative happens and then you need to do a water change and the fish goes into shock from the clean water.

any words on this?

you're correct about the nitrates building up. the tank you are referring only stayed up for 6 months. it was torn down once when i moved back home.

any words on this?

Denitriciation and plant uptake. Not always viable options for every tank.

That being said there is more to water chemistry than nitrogen.

Here are a couple photos of my planted 125 gallon (about 473 liters) aquarium.

IMG_8859.jpg

IMG_8861.jpg

Hope you like it! (none of the plants are carnivorous plant though)

Walter

i totally forgot this thread existed! here's a recent shot of mine...
8270929031_2d0d965b3e_b.jpg

Back