What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I be afraid of Cephalotus?

Agreed, all of the mystery surrounding them is unfounded. I have found them quite easy to grow.

Cool, hopefully when I get one I'll be able to keep it alive!

Luck to you Natalie! Avidly awaiting your acquisition of a ceph so I can use you as the guinea pig for outdoor growing around here :-D

Or if I can find a decently priced plant (like less than $50 or $100!) Maybe you can use ME as the guinea pig! ;)

Natalie,

Give them a shot. I waited a few years after successfully growing most other cps before trying them out, due partly to fear I'd just kill them. I haven't found them difficult at all. They grew well in my highland chamber, and I do give them an adequate dormancy. I did manage to really harm one during a transplant (even though I was careful), to the point I thought I had killed it. But I kept watering it and within a few months, it came back to life in full force, and is now doing very nicely. I guess the biggest key is just being patient. They initially ( for the first year) grew very, very slowly for me. Note that they no longer grow slowly for me.

Plus, you live in a great place to grow them outdoors. You'll do great!

Back