What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shipping methods for neps?

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
I have a couple questions about shipping Neps.
Where do I find those clear plastic bags most retailers use?
How do I keep the growth point healthy?
When shipping, what packing material do you use?
How do I best bare root a Nep without ripping roots?
Thanks,
Zero

1)i'd check tropical fish stores. ask for the super large bags.

2)keep the growth point healthy by securing the plastic bag within the box to prevent shifting. depending on the size of the plant, you can also put it into a large tube which functions as a canister. (place newspaper lining on the bottom, and on top of the plastic bag containing the plant)

3)packing material: newspaper, or fillers.

4)do not remove whatever is attached to the roots, rather use some LFS and wrap it around the roots and clumping material to protect them. could use a rubberband to secure the sphagnum. (do try to remove as much as you can to the best of your ability though--the plant is less likely go into shock as much if you dont remove all the media from the roots) after that, i would place the bundled roots into the corner of the plastic bag, and then use a rubber band to secure the base of the plant so the plant doesnt move around inside the plastic bag and possibly damage the growth point.

Would walmart carry these? I need the thin bags moct retailer ship them with

1)i'd check tropical fish stores. ask for the super large bags.

2)keep the growth point healthy by securing the plastic bag within the box to prevent shifting. depending on the size of the plant, you can also put it into a large tube which functions as a canister. (place newspaper lining on the bottom, and on top of the plastic bag containing the plant)

3)packing material: newspaper, or fillers.

4)do not remove whatever is attached to the roots, rather use some LFS and wrap it around the roots and clumping material to protect them. could use a rubberband to secure the sphagnum. (do try to remove as much as you can to the best of your ability though--the plant is less likely go into shock as much if you dont remove all the media from the roots) after that, i would place the bundled roots into the corner of the plastic bag, and then use a rubber band to secure the base of the plant so the plant doesnt move around inside the plastic bag and possibly damage the growth point.

Would walmart carry these? I need the thin bags moct retailer ship them with

it doesnt hurt to try, but for the most part, the fish i've seen at wallmart are small--so im betting the bags will be on the small side as well. as a tropical fish hobbyist i usually tell people to steer clear of walmart's selection. you're better off getting it at a petstore that specializes in tropical fish. these stores often use huge bags to carry large fish that are sometimes +6 or 7 in long.

Thanks for all the above posts:)
Anyone else on the large clear shipping bags?

Anyone else on the large clear shipping bags?
I'm not familiar with the specific bags you're requesting but dry cleaners have huge, very thin clear bags...

you could recycle bags, just an idea, i did it once, shipped in like a bagel bag or bread bag. i would highly recommend fish bags though. Usually get them from a pet store or online, they run like .05-.10/bag.

i also received plants in the mail a few days ago. They put the roots of the nep in a bag and then placed that into a cup, then syran wrapped the entire plant folding leaves up, it was a different method but it seemed to work. i've seen wrapping the roots in paper towel, plastic bag and aluminum foil, i dont really care for that method, i myself wrap the roots in paper towel, place it into a plastic bag and secure the roots with a rubber band not too tight though. then place another bag over the top of the plant and secure it with another rubberband around the roots to hold that bag in place. ive also gotten cuttings and plants in pretty good shape just being sent in a large zip lock baggy with papertowel around the roots

I don't know what size the plants are that you are askibg about, but I have seen plants shipped smothered in LFS, wrapped in paper towels, inside ziplocks. I've also seen them shipped in the pot, with like the plastic lids that come with pop / soda cups to keep the soil in, held in place to keep the soil from going anywhere, in a plastic bag.

Back