What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You guys don't know him as he's not a CPer but my pal and Battle Helm Magazine's UK writer/reviewer Shan Siva went to Malaysian Borneo for xmas/new years holiday and took a few pics of Nepenthes for me while he was there. He's given me permission to share them with you guys. Some plants are wild and some are cultivated maybe at a visitors center or something.

So without further ado here's some images from his trip I thought you guys might like....

Edwardsiana
edwardsiana.jpg

N. alba? N. gracillima? N. muluensis? He did climb mulu...
alba.jpg

I'm stabbing in the dark and guessing N. faizaliana?
faizaliana.jpg

N. mirabilis or N. gracillis upper?
gracillis.jpg

N. veitchii
veitchii.jpg

N. burbidgeae
burbidgeae.jpg

Hope you liked his pics - wish I could have gone with, maybe next time...

snakes.jpg

Maybe not! :D

If any of you have better IDs on the ? marked ones I'll pass them along to him.

Last edited:
Awesome pics! I'd say that the alleged N. faizaliana is probably just a classic N. maxima. I could be wrong though. The "alba, or muluensis" certainly is beautiful though I don't see much muluensis in it? maybe a hybrid?

I just took a stab at IDing them, he says they all pretty much look alike to him... I went to my storage bin tonight and got my Nepenthes of Borneo book, I haven't looked at it in a number of years, I forget what all grows there... For shame I know! :lol:

That snake on his head is a Waglers pit viper. He must have been pretty drunk...

Nice neps though!

Wow nice!! And about the muluensis... I think it might actually be eustachya because of the red stripes down the front (that's the only nep I know of that has those red stripes down the front) but I don't know the location where it's supposed to be found so I might be utterly wrong :lol:

The pale upper pitchers looks like N. macfarlanei, and the one below could be lowers of that species. BUT, that would mean that those two pics were taken on the Malaysian Peninsula.

Regards,

Christer

Nice pics!! The second one does look like Muluensis but its hard to tell... ???

LOL dude.. they put a Wagler's Viper ON HIS HEAD?? lol wtf!

N. macfarlanei....Hmmm. Now that you say that I remember he did make a passing mention of going for a quick walk in the Genting Highlands but he didn't notate any of his tons of pics with any captions so I had assumed they were all taken on Borneo (mostly natives & villages) but perhaps those two weren't...

No chance in heck I can ID them but holy crap...sweet trip!

Um, that snake on his head..... Your buddy has some cajones for doing that. He saw some nice plants on the trip, lucky dude.

Here's a response from Shan:

LOL - you've made me famous!!

Here's an explanation to the comments on there:

image 1 (looking down the site): botanical gardens, mt kinabalu HQ, Sabah
image 2-3: mossy forest, cameron highlands
image 4: kuching, sarawak - just by the road, for some reason Sarawak was the only place they seemed to be growing abundantly near to habitation, elsewhere you haveta to walk into the rainforest - something to do with people...?
image 5-6: botanical gardens, mt kinabalu HQ, Sabah

Re the snake temple, the snakes were pretty placid so i'm guessing they'd been 'befriended' (or doped up LOL) - elsewhere (see pic) you can see the warning notic

snakewarning.jpg

Last edited:
Back