What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SeCrEt ClUb?

• Thread starter Parasuco
  • Start date
Gee Tamlin, I don't know. After that comment about them being not impressive I'm not sure he should be allowed into our club (j/k
biggrin.gif
)

We're working on it Gafoto. I try to send out plants whenever I can, and I know Tamlin is almost generous to a fault.

Part of the problem is that everyone wants the same plants - the big fancy ones that are difficult and slow to grow.

Ok, firstly,
I AM A UTRIC GROWER TOO!!!!
biggrin.gif

people seem to have failed to notice that I post here as well, so can I join too? please, can I!!!

ALL Utrics are impressive. I personally prefer the smaller, delicate terrestrial species to the tropical {epiphytic} species.
They appear small and fragile but are vigorous and strong. Most of my terrestrial utrics will start to flower over the coming weeks so I will take photo's to show you. I garantee you will be impressed!

Since we are on the subject of utrics, i'll take a photo opportunity and post this pic I snapped quickly this morning of my U. Reniformis. The pic is a bit ropey as I don't have the most impressive digi cam in the world! It seems that people in America have some difficulty obtaining this species where as over here its almost as easy to get hold of as Sandersonii!
10351028-9673-028001E0-.jpg

Richard,

Sure you can join
biggrin.gif

I am jealous... My little seedling reniformis' largest leaf is about 2" tall. Well I'm sure it'll gain some size someday
smile.gif

Yes, I've noticed that. Every corner of the world seems to have a different set of utrics common in cultivation.

Personally, I'd appreciate it if someone living in India would go pick up a chunk of U. reticulata for me. Taylor describes it as a "common weed of rice cultivation".

tim.

Now I can be in the club thanks to Zach!! I finally have one!

So I get to join by default huh?
tounge.gif

I am trying my best to get into them. I do think that they are great plants, although I just have 1 ( one died ).

I would love it if people where more into these guys.

I would have to consider them almost like Orchids, the flowers are terrific!!! And being an orchid grower ( well not lately ) I appreciate them more. I have also read that many Orchid Folk grow these plants, not for the plant itself, but for the flower.

If anyone is interested in sending some 'common' plants my way, I will gladly pay shipping. Or maybe trade something
smile.gif

Reniformis is the umbrella one?!

Wow, I want... I'll go buy one!

No, I'm here too. I'm gonna send 'em wild in my lake!!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Jaie, I got my first utric a little while back (I dont remember how many monthes, but sometiem after february) from Pyro. Its a calcyfida, and it is in a giant wine glass type thing... Like the kind you drink egg nogg out of... Know what I mean? It couldnt be any easier, and I think there is a flower coming... I see a new growthin in the middle, and its not flat!

^_^

Try doing one like a small center piece instead of potted plant. Very nice, and they can accumulate plenty of food in an undrained dish!

are ultrics carnivorous at all
and how do u feed them
maybe they are not so liked because no one talks about them anywhere but their own forums (trade forum, pet fly trap, general discussions)
if ultrics are carnivorous then i think subulata sounds nice if its such a weed
bisquamata is what im hopefully getting

RAW,

Utrics are most definitly carnivorous (and it could be argued that they have the most complex trap of all the carnivores.) And feeding them isn't a problem because they eat fungus gnat larva and anyone who grows CPs inadvertently breeds gnats.

As for people only discussing Utrics in the Utric forum, well.... Um... it is the Utric forum after all, where are we supposed to discuss them? There are quite a few posts in the trading forum looking for Utrics too (I know because I have made about half of them.)

I really recommend against subulata but it is always your choice. If you do get subulata then don't expect to be able to grow any other Utrics as it will spread and smother them.

Lithopsman,

I would just like to say that you really shouldn't introduce Utrics into the wild in places where they are not native. There are species of Utric that are becoming invasive in some parts of the Pacific NW and are wrecking havoc on the ecosystem.

Pyro

Lithopsman,

Just to add to Pyro's note, what happens is that the introduced species (Utrics) don't have a natural predator to keep its population in check, so it spreads like wildfire.  In Yellowstone Lake, introduced fish are eating away the native population (some are only found in that region). This creates a huge problem as it costs a lot of money to eradicate the invasive species and usually it's not possible to remove all of the invasive species.  I believe in California, some lakes were entirely drained, so that the invasive fish species would not spread.  Of course, this kills off the local fish/wildlife population in the process.

Richard,

Nice Utricularia you are growing there! Consider yourself one of the in-crowd!

I don't mean to be to offensive to your secret club but I'm pretty bored with seeing this message (maybe posting on this message will become a rite of passage for new club members: finding a way to say something that hasn't been said before) I don't mean to dis anyone but I would just appreciate the room to post my boring junk.
biggrin.gif

Bringing the topic to the top by posting doesnt exactly help it a whole lot...

I didnt mean for the topic to turn out like this, so I won't take credit for it, but I think its neat ppl can just blabber about their utrics as opposed to having to make a new post just to say "Neat, where did u get that utric?" you know?

I don't understand what the problem is, Gafoto. But I can tell you're bored because you took the time to type that last message.

Utrics interest me quite a bit... but as of this time, I have not had an opportunity to add any to my collection, on top of that, I am not sure where i would even grow one! From what i have read, if I were to put one in my natural style aquarium, it would rapidly infest the entire place, possibly damaging some of my other plants by choking them out?  and I don't even know if it could survive A) my window sill, or B) my back porch...

I sure would love something to eat all that #### mosquito larvae in my planter outdoors though!

And Gafato, I am not seeing how your running out of space, if you don't want to see it, don't look here, or just breeze right on by it.

Ram,

I have two Utrics you could probably grow in your tank that would not me likely to run wild through it and kill everything off: U. calycifida and U. longifolia. Neither of these, has the "smother everything in sight" growth tendancy of such weeds as U. subulata. They also have real large leaves so you can see where they are and dig them out if they go where they don't belong. Both are great for windowsill growth and calycifida could probably survive on your back poarck as long as you made sure it would never dry out. Drop me a line if you are interested in either of these and I'll see what I can do.

Others you might want to consider for terrarium or window are U. reniformis and U. alpina. While slightly more difficult they have the same advantages as the above.

For your mosquito problem you could try growing U. gibba in the water trays but I don't know how well that would go over.

Pyro

Back