What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seaworld, Orlando

I decided to go yesterday to see what they did to the whale show since they restarted it. Same show minus the trainers in the water for now. They also did a video tribute to the trainer who was killed. On my way in to the parking lot I did drive by the PETA fanatics who were picketing and demanding that all of the parks release all of their animals immediately. That really worked out well for the "Free Willy whale".
There was also a woman who was yelling at any employee see could find that having a height requirement for the rides was stupid because her grandson was too small to ride the coasters. When one of them mentioned the area of the park with the family friendly rides it seemed to set her off even more.
For those of you up north, I can sympathize - it was only about 50 here yesterday - and it was raining. And just so this has some relationship to plants - D. hilaris.

One of my college professors goes to seaworld in Orlando in the summers to train the killer whales and dolphins. I had him last semester, and I haven't seen him to ask him his opinion on this episode yet. I'm wondering if it was a whale he has worked with.

I've always hated animal trick shows. I'm glad they didn't kill the whale like they often do if an elephant or something finally snaps.

i look at the attack in two ways.....

#1 these animals are extreamly intellegent, this is the third person this whale has killed, it should have been taken out of the show years ago cause it has likely been deliberate and intentional....

#2 could be like when you raise a bull calf on a bottle.....the bull grows up thinking you are a cow aswell.....so when that bull hits 1000 pound he dont realize you arent to.....cows get into pushing contests more or less playing all the time....but that bull dont realize you are not 1000 pounds aswell and him just looking to play becomes very dangerous, he will hurt yah and never realize he did anything wrong......bulls that were hand raised on a bottle tend to be more dangerous than a normal bull cause ppl dont let their guard down on a normal bull, a friendly one leads ppl to let their guard down.....

Actually, if you want to get technical this is the first death that can be attributed to this particular whale. The 1st it was involved with 2 other whales that dragged a trainer underwater in Canada in the early 1990's. The 2nd happened at Seaworld Orlando in 1999. A man with alcohol and marajuana in his system hid in Seaworld until after the park was closed, then went swimming in the 52 degree water in Shamu stadium and died of hypothermia. Can't blame that on the whale. I would have to agree that this incident seems to be the whale's fault.
On a side note - I don't know how the local news is where you all live - but the news here just won't let this go. Its been pretty much 24 hour coverage since it happened. I know its an important story, but something else must have happened since Wednesday. The last time it was like this was when the monorail trains at Disney crashed and the driver of one train was killed. I know this area is like the theme park capitol of the planet - but the news people seem to be like vultures circling whenever anything happens at any of the parks.

Back