What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia

It appears to be a cross between purpurea and leucyphylla or rosea and leucyphylla.

Its got a definitely got a Leucophylla in it

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you guys are seeing leucophylla - I don't see any white spots at all. My best guess is S. purpurea x rubra (also known as S. x chelsonii) or perhaps S. purpurea x alata (also known as S. x exornata) though it could very well be a complex hybrid.

Last edited:
I see what you mean. It could have rubra in it. It was the heavy veining that made me think of leucyphylla.

Last edited:
Nice looking sarracenia!

There is no way to tell for sure what the cross is but it is definitely a hybrid so cannot be labeled as anything but "Sarracenia hybrid" if no label came with the plant. As nimbulan said, it could be a complex hybrid with purpurea in the mix. I have a similar looking one that is S. purpurea x Judith Hindle, but like I said you can only label it "hybrid" without knowing the parentage.

Agreed, don't label it anything other than "mixed hybrid" or similar; the veining could come from rubra, alata, or complex parentage with other species, and some of the shape may be from minor but not definite on that.
Also, to another comment: x exornata is rosea x alata, not purpurea; purp and alata don't meet in nature.

Back