What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia planters

I'm currently growing Sarracenia and VFTs in 12 inch deep plastic planters. The plants seem to be doing well, but the planters have drainage holes which are difficult to plug effectively, so I have to water fairly constantly, which is a royal pain. I'm considering switching over to heavy-duty plastic bus tubs, but I'm concerned by the shallowness of the tubs. Is around 7 inches deep enough to cultivate large Sarracenia and VFTs? Maybe I should just put the planters into the tubs, and use a hybrid mini-bog/tray system? Pics to follow, when the chance presents itself. Suggestions welcome...

Neither genera put out extensive roots. 7 inch tubs will be fine. Plenty people use Rubbermaid tubs for mini-bogs.

Putting you planters in tubs as a jumbo tray system is an excellent idea. Something that Peter D'Amato discusses in his book. You can even put aquatic Utricularia in the tubs as mosquito control.

That should be fine, like Not a Number said.

This spring I replanted all of my Sarracenia into these tubs:
(click pic for full size view)

They are 20 x 25 x 7. I am using pure peat as my media kept VERY wet.

As you can see, the extra tubs make great mass-trays.

Good luck,
Steve

Nice collection. It looks like those tubs work really well.

I'm using black baskets used for water lillies, these I then put into 12 qt. rubbermaid containers. They work great and I get excellent growth.

Thanks all. I'd seen the pics of Bugweed's collection, and his plants look like they're mostly growing in tubs about the size I was asking about. It's hard to get a sense of scale in pictures, though. Steve, are thos concrete mixing tubs? I was thinking of getting plastic bus tubs, which are about 15 x 21 x 7, but the extra surface area of tubs like yours would mean buying fewer tubs.

Steve, are thos concrete mixing tubs? I was thinking of getting plastic bus tubs, which are about 15 x 21 x 7, but the extra surface area of tubs like yours would mean buying fewer tubs.

Yes those are concrete mixing tubs. They cost about $5 each at Home Depot. So far they are perfect for my needs with the only drawback being that the rounded corners on the bottom waste a lot of space when used as a water tray for pots.

Thanks for the quick update. I'll probably go with those next spring. Good eye, huh?

Back