What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia is not doing well

Hi everyone,

I bought a Sarracenia rhizome from California Carnivores during a sale. The rhizome was unlabeled, so I'm not sure exactly what variety I have.

I planted the Sarracenia in a mix of 50% coarse silica grains, 50% peat moss and have been observing its growth for the past few months. It hasn't grown any pitchers, but has grown some flat slender leaves. I've been putting it in full sun and have been watering it distilled water whenever the soil is dry.

I've never grown Sarracenia before and so I don't know if this type of growth is normal or if I'm doing something wrong. I've included a picture for more details.

Would love some advice!

Thanks!
img1.jpg

It is producing phyllodia, or non carnivorous leaves. This means that the plant thinks it is late winter/early spring. It should be producing carnivorous leaves by now (depending on where you live).

Thanks for the advice Benny and bluemax. I'm going to try and find a place that gets more direct sun light and see if that'll make a change. I'll post an update if anything changes.

Thanks again!

Hey Wingless. Benny hits the nail on the head -- you have what appear to be transitional leaves. So it seems like the plant is waking up, but you can help it along the way by providing it full sun. Keeping water in the tray on the bottom is a good idea, but it's hardly deadly if the tray is momentarily dry.

It appears that you have a nice sized rhizome on there, so it should be pretty robust. If the rhizome (the modified stem just at the surface level) gets mooshy or dusty, we've got different issues to talk about.

Best of luck!

Back