What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia ID

First up is some kind of flava I guess:

I generally do not trade for no-name hybrids so I know it should be a cultivar. What do you think? A young flava ornata maybe?

102_0828_zps34f04f0f.jpg

and this one

a purp ssp purp?

102_0830_zpsf942a8aa.jpg

I think you are correct in your identification of both plants. The top Sarracenia definitely looks to be a pure species, and the bottom as well. Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea generally has more elongated pitchers than the squatter counter-part Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa (Correct me if I am wrong :grin:)

Good Growing,
Kenny

no definitely not a venosa....i have one of those to go by :)
(i know I need to pot some of them individually come early spring; getting cramped in there!)

102_0833_zps3bcd31ae.jpg

The coloration on the purpurea is very nice! Compliments to you sir for a grow well done :)

I think you are correct in your identification of both plants. The top Sarracenia definitely looks to be a pure species, and the bottom as well. Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea generally has more elongated pitchers than the squatter counter-part Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa (Correct me if I am wrong :grin:)

Good Growing,
Kenny

I feel no need to correct you. That top plant definitely looks like a Sarracenia flava var. ornata, and the bottom looks like a S. purpurea ssp. purpurea. I usually go by pitcher color and patterns rather than shape. Either way, lovely plants and great job figuring them out!

next year I will hopefully have something worth bragging about......I have already begun to pot the larger ones separately earlier this year. I believe about 50% of the ones I currently have need to be potted separately in the early spring as well. I am beginning to believe the size of the plants are being negatively affected by those planters.

Although i will humbly accept your compliments but the credit belongs to mother nature.....all I do is water them and pot them....the climate in which I live is pretty much native to the sarracenia.

Last edited:
I've seen purp venosa that look like that. They're extremely variable in the wild.

hmm.......I believe the location data was in canada, ontario not sure if venosa's have that variability in that locale but either way I love the color on it.

Well then, if it was from Canada there's no way it's a venosa! Those only grow as far north as maybe New Jersey, and that's pushing it. Canadian purps are the type variety.

Back