What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. rubra ssp. alabamensis

This guy looks like he's overwhelmed in his pot? I know you're suppose to divide them in spring but, would it be bad to divide it now??? Or repot it?

115BE909-5824-4FCC-AC3E-AAC4B45D1CF2_zpspdojs3qj.jpg

B8FA587C-6F6B-4279-9E1B-72F55B388FE9_zps3eorpfqr.jpg

What's going on with the pitchers breaking easily? Bending oveR?
139B2515-20FB-435A-A771-A203D6B50B0D_zpsjf84kw6n.jpg

E21C1C24-B9F7-4E87-8BC3-96CC9A3EBF86_zpsvwvzaqpz.jpg
67E651E0-75A1-4D9B-B050-730EA021D699_zpstvqotvm4.jpg
663DFE55-8711-4F8B-88BD-C08E64B02E4E_zpszftlxsfq.jpg

Any suggestions or tips to help improve this guy would be much appreciated.

0BAD56BB-F22B-4B04-B472-6A81AE5753DA_zpsenbcaoao.jpg

And while I was sitting with this guy out, a fly went right into one of the pitchers and got stuck! I could hear it buzzing around frantically trying to get out! So exciting! (Kinda seems a little disturbing how happy I am watching this fly suffer in the pitchers)

Normal spring pitchers with that one. Alway flopsy mopsy

Okay good to know, but would it be okay to divide it now?

Depends on where in the world you are. If you are in the northern hemisphere, I assume that you will be giving it a dormancy period soon, if so I would wait till then.
You can generally divide and repot sarracenia at any time of year, but to avoid set back or shock, it is best left, in my opinion, till the plant is dormant and then I wait till early spring to do such operations. The reasoning behind that being that I don't want a plant with open wounds (which is what happens when you divide it) sitting in soil for a long period before growth resumes as that gives fungus etc a long period of opportunity to get into the rhizome, whereas in spring growth starts quickly and callouses over the wound quickly.

Cheers
Steve

Okay, so ne spring when I start to see new growth..Bummer, it's driving me nuts! Ha

For most Sarrs growth is really slowing down this time of year, as the plants prepare for dormancy.
So as far as the plant is concerned, the active growing season is mostly over..
which means the fact that it might a bit "crowded" right now doesn't matter much this time of year, because the
plant wont be doing much between now and March.

I agree that you should still *not* repot it now! its much better to wait for early Spring..
because its still best to not disturb the plant as it prepares for and goes into winter dormancy..
im just saying its not a big deal if you dont repot it now..the plant wont care much, because it wont be actively
growing again until Spring.

Scot

Okay, I will leave this guy alone and just keep doing what I'm doing until he goes dormant.

If you're desperate to repot, I would prepare a larger pot, with a depression to accommodate ALL OF what you have, and transfer as one unit. Then water from above to meld the media. Otherwise, follow Scottychaos' advise.

Back